Coopers, English Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinleycat said:
1040 down to 1010 in 10 days.
Nice and clear will keg it Saturday probably.

That should be nice. Just checked what my one did. 1038 OG and 1013 FG, and that was quite nice.

Brewerd this 6 days ago simply with BE and brewed short to 21.5ltrs and it came out at 1042og. I've just taken off the kausen coller and taken a sample. It's now at 1010 so I would say it's pretty much done and he tastes pretty good already so I maybe bottling at the weekend.

I tried cooling the FV for a couple of days before bottling my Betterbrew IPA and that was a lot clearer when bottling, so I will definatley do the same with this one.

:cheers:

Went into the king keg on friday at around 1008 wih 100g of granulated sugar to prime and a squirtette of CO2 .
Nice and clear and a good bitter taste, might give this one to the old man. :thumb:

warnie said:
Brewerd this 6 days ago simply with BE and brewed short to 21.5ltrs and it came out at 1042og. I've just taken off the kausen coller and taken a sample. It's now at 1010 so I would say it's pretty much done and he tastes pretty good already so I maybe bottling at the weekend.

I tried cooling the FV for a couple of days before bottling my Betterbrew IPA and that was a lot clearer when bottling, so I will definatley do the same with this one.

Really pleased with this so far I've just put it somewhere cool as it's finished at 1007FG from a 1042OG which makes it 4.6% before bottling on sunday. Not much sediment at bottom of FV either which I put down to the better mixing I now do.

Despite my best efforts to kill this brew with the usual ham fisted attempts at king kegging it:
D2AB69DA-E64A-47BB-82EB-04EC73D0C2AB-3258-000002B5058EF1C8_zpsf6065775.jpg

This is a bloody good pint!!

I put this on a couple of weeks ago, had a week in the warm to do its job then placed in cool for a week. Took a gravity reading and its only at 1.020 so moved back into the warm and gave a stir, hopefully it'll kick off again to get it lower.

I brewed with a kilo of spray malt and used safale s-04 yeast. Tried the sample from the trial jar and my good god it's beautiful, can't wait to keg it.

Scott said:
I put this on a couple of weeks ago, had a week in the warm to do its job then placed in cool for a week. Took a gravity reading and its only at 1.020 so moved back into the warm and gave a stir, hopefully it'll kick off again to get it lower.

I brewed with a kilo of spray malt and used safale s-04 yeast. Tried the sample from the trial jar and my good god it's beautiful, can't wait to keg it.
Why the change in temps during primary Scott?

I brewed mine with i kg brew enhancer and 500gms of light dme, and its been stuck at 1020 , gave it a stir 4 days ago and no change. Gave it another stir today, so wait and see. Its in fv for 2 weeks , and temp was kept steady. Might have to add yeast that i dont have at present, so another week i think :(

bottler said:
I brewed mine with i kg brew enhancer and 500gms of light dme, and its been stuck at 1020 , gave it a stir 4 days ago and no change. Gave it another stir today, so wait and see. Its in fv for 2 weeks , and temp was kept steady. Might have to add yeast that i dont have at present, so another week i think :(
Hi bottler, do you use yeast nutrient?
I've never had a stick or a high SG since I started using it.
KC. :thumb:

Kinleycat said:
bottler said:
No mate, but ive been looking into it. I was going to buy a 500gm bag on ebay, but it said it was for wine, so ive contacted the seller to see if its suitable for beer also, waiting on reply. Ive had quite a few brews sticking lately. Thanks KC :thumb:

bottler said:
Kinleycat said:
bottler said:
No mate, but ive been looking into it. I was going to buy a 500gm bag on ebay, but it said it was for wine, so ive contacted the seller to see if its suitable for beer also, waiting on reply. Ive had quite a few brews sticking lately. Thanks KC :thumb:
It is mate, I use youngs yeast nutrient for wine.
E1D545C3-3A6C-4743-9E07-0EED18B70E76-4929-000003B86E912B09_zps3adb7b89.jpg

£1.95 for 100g from my LHBS so I'm sure it's cheaper elsewhere; especially on t'interweb. :thumb:

Kinleycat said:
Scott said:

Why the change in temps during primary Scott?

My brews spend the first week in my kitchen which is usually around 21c, however SWMBO doesn't like the site of it for longer than that so I stick it in the boiler room (old coal shed) for another week, it's around 15/16c in there so helps the yeast drop out of suspension.

However on this occasion it stopped the ferment, not sure if it got colder than usual in there or something else happened.

All is good now though and ready for kegging with the trial Nitrogen gas.

warnie said:
warnie said:

Really pleased with this so far I've just put it somewhere cool as it's finished at 1007FG from a 1042OG which makes it 4.6% before bottling on sunday. Not much sediment at bottom of FV either which I put down to the better mixing I now do.

I took 2 of these to a curry house last night after 2 weeks in the warm and and 10 days in the cold. Really happy with this one, far more impressed than what I was with my wherry, love the colour as well, so will be doing this one again without a doubt.

Must say I'm loving drinking my own beer and been pretty much guaranteed a decent pint that easily compares to pub brews. That is apart from the Sadlers pub in Lye called the Windsor Castle, who brew their own beer, now thier beers are a class apart. Thier red IPA at 5.7% is to die for :drink: If any of you are unlucky enough to be in the stourbridge area of the west midlands then look this place up and it will certainly brighten up your day :cheers:

Just about finished this off now (about six pints to go) and i have to say this has been one of my favourite brews so far.
Its benefited with time as they all do, i will deffo brew this kit again.

Kinleycat said:
Just chucked one of these in the FV with 1/2 dextrose and 1/2 medium spray malt.
Hopefully it will be a nice drop. Plan to do a full Spray malt version later on as a gift for my dads birthday.
Hi mate im about to do this kit what do you mean by 1/2 dextrose and 1/2 medium spray malt do you mean 500grms of each.
Cheers longy.

longy said:
Kinleycat said:
Just chucked one of these in the FV with 1/2 dextrose and 1/2 medium spray malt.
Hopefully it will be a nice drop. Plan to do a full Spray malt version later on as a gift for my dads birthday.
Hi mate im about to do this kit what do you mean by 1/2 dextrose and 1/2 medium spray malt do you mean 500grms of each.
Cheers longy.
Yes mate, for beers and ales I never stray from the kilo of fermentables, lager I sometimes do.
Sorry it wasn't very clear 500g of each.
It's a good beer, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :thumb:

Kinleycat said:
longy said:
Kinleycat said:
Cheers longy.
Yes mate, for beers and ales I never stray from the kilo of fermentables, lager I sometimes do.
Sorry it wasn't very clear 500g of each.
It's a good beer, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :thumb:
Thanks for that mate.

Being out of brew and needing something that should not take months to mature I gave this a go not expecting to much of it.

I made it up following the recipe on http://www.aussiehomebrewing.com/Custom ... opers.html
500 brewing sugar 500 ldme and 25 g Goldings. I deviated a bit adding an extra 7g hops (32 total) at the start of the boil.

It's not finished fermenting yet but I had a taste to see if I would need to dry hop it, happy dayz I think it's going to be good the hop flavour and bitterness are real good I'm inpatient now :-)

Aamcle

Sadly I lost half of this in The Great Beer Disaster but after 12 days in the bottle I gave in and tried it some of the surviving bottles, I had to resist a third bottle. It's still a bit young I can tell and there is some haze, but no yeast taste or homebrew twang, if it survives to maturity its going to be very good indeed.

Atb. Aamcle

Latest posts

Back