Coopers Wheat Beer Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One last question - today is bottling day, beer tastes great (just like Hooegarden, although flat!) and the FG has been stable for the past 3 days... However when I look at my FV, the colour of the beer on top is different than towards the middle or bottom of the FV, it is obvious that is decanting. Do I need to wait for this to finish? Wheat beer should be cloudy a bit (at least for me), but I'm concerned I'll have different "degrees" of cloudiness from the first to the last bottle. Can I gently stir it a bit while trying not to disturb the sediment at the bottom? I just want to have a consistent colour across my bottles :)

Here's a picture to make it a bit more clear to understand my query...

20160503_185218.jpg

One last question - today is bottling day, beer tastes great (just like Hooegarden, although flat!) and the FG has been stable for the past 3 days... However when I look at my FV, the colour of the beer on top is different than towards the middle or bottom of the FV, it is obvious that is decanting. Do I need to wait for this to finish? Wheat beer should be cloudy a bit (at least for me), but I'm concerned I'll have different "degrees" of cloudiness from the first to the last bottle. Can I gently stir it a bit while trying not to disturb the sediment at the bottom? I just want to have a consistent colour across my bottles :)

Sure, but just make sure that you do it very gently, just to mix up the yeast in suspension and not kick up any trub at the bottom. Let us know how it pans out.

EDIT: Now I've seen the pic, it does look pretty cloudy still. I'd probably wait for it to settle a bit more.

Thanks for the feedback. I've waited another day and bottled it, just couldn't wait any longer :whistle:

Tastes pretty good, had one last week and one this week, it changed a lot, so much better! I guess I now have an idea of what "green" beer tastes like, and to tbh, the sample from yesterday tastes like any good wheat beer out there!

20160509_202208.jpg

Hi all, new member here.

Just wanted to say, I've been making this (Coopers Preachers Hefe Wheat) for almost a year now (never did the previous US style wheat)

I've done probably around 8-10 of these kits now, all slightly different. Lately I've been adding too much seed (20-30g crushed) and it's been too overpowering, to the point where it merges with the yeast to form a ‘sewerage’ type taste and aroma, n that aint' no good.. the sewerage dies off over time and then you just get a coriander seed beer. I've also tried brewing with honey, no different in taste whatsoever because it's so highly fermentable, honey malt would be the go.

I've stopped adding peel and settled on 10g coriander seed, 15g pride of Ringwood (very short boil) a bit of Hallertau or similar (again, very short boil) and sometimes some specialty ‘pale ale’ fruity aroma hops (all thrown in to the fermenter) but to tell you the truth I can never even detect these. They have massive effects on ales I brew with clean ale or lager yeast, but the Belgian style yeast provided within the kit is so good these are undetectable. I always use 1.5kg wheat malt extract and the Pride of Ringwood helps bring the final product up to ‘Redback’ clone territory. Another favorite of mine. Always brewed under 22 degrees but finally have one in the fridge at 24 so see if I can detect more banana this batch

I feel you can quite easily make a Hoegaarden clone from the kit also. It's versatile, it's simple, choice of yeast is excellent, *it's been rated #1 at beer comps over all grain, it's a great piece of kit

This was my second ever brew. I started it on the 24th of December 2020.
Coopers Hefe Wheat Kit
1 Kg of Wheat DME
500g of Brewing Sugar

OG = 1.044 - Initial Fermentation was very active and the krausen came up through the airlock.
08/01/2021 the FG after 48 hours was 1.006
I bottled using 180g of Dextrose mixed in with 500ml of hot water as priming solution in second FV and transferred over the brew.
2 weeks in the hot press for secondary fermentation and 2 weeks in my garage.

Tried my first bottle last night. In fact I had two. It turned out really nice. Somewhere between an Erdinger and Hoegaarden. Hint of cloves and at the very end of the glass I got a very definite banana taste with the last mouthful. I enjoyed the second serving even more as I became accustomed to the taste. I knew I had drank a couple of beers afterwards, it's pretty powerful stuff sitting somewhere between 5.2 to 5.5% I think. If I had 4 pints of Erdinger, I'd be on my ear, so I think this is in the same ball park.

I am looking forward to having a couple more tonight, maybe one or two extra for good measure. It is Friday after all. Really happy with this, I think it turned out really well. On my to do list again.

Damien

Attachments

• 6D820EAF-BFA6-465D-9255-4523F870A929.jpeg
    6D820EAF-BFA6-465D-9255-4523F870A929.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 6CF80D8B-D897-4BC4-9120-A7F844E52CF0.jpeg
    6CF80D8B-D897-4BC4-9120-A7F844E52CF0.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 57
Back