Coopers Wheat Beer Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darrellm said:
First sample last night. Brewed short to 20L with wheat spraymalt and added in some boiled-up zest of 5 oranges and crushed coriander seeds. Didn't go too low and was stuck at 1014 after 9 days (despite giving it a stir) so I bottled it.

First impressions - not quite what I was expecting (not like a lot of the commercial wheat beers I've sampled), but not bad at all. The orange and coriander are just about there in the background, some fizz and no head but I haven't really left it long enough, so we'll see if it gets better / more distinctive over the next few weeks. Not a million miles from the taste of Coopers Cerveza or Canadian Blonde IMHO.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I ended up using 1kg of wheat spray malt, along with the orange zest and corriander seeds which i boiled for about 30 mins and then strained. Pitched my yeast at 20deg C this morning.

I've 30 pints of this left in a keg and it's so carbonated when I try to pull a drink from it all I get is froth. I've just tried to syphon it into 3 10 pint tap o drafts and the syphon won't work I assume because of so much CO2 in it.
I'm having to use the tap very slowly and keep topping up when it settles.

Just a few days in and this has improved significantly - the orange and hint of coriander is coming through more, but not overpowering the beer. Bit more gas too...hard to say if it's like an authentic wheat beer, but I'm definately liking this now :cheers:

....and here it is.

wheatbeersmall.jpg

Mine has come out cloudy: 2 weeks in the bottle and yeast is solidifying at the bottom, gets a bit of a head after pouring but that soon disappears. I bottled the lot and put it in the fridge, have to say that this has come out very well. Glad I added in the extra orange and coriander (and made it with wheat spray malt), as the flavours really come through. Coopers Stout is still my no.1 favourite Coopers kit, but I now think this leaps firmly into the no.2 position :D Have passed a few out to mates and they all seem to love it, the ladies in particular - it's not going to last long :thumb:

I have had mine in FV for a week now. Same recipie as yours. I was going to transfer it to a diff FV for a week before bottling or should i leave it where it is?

I've never use a secondary FV, just tend to leave it longer in the first FV if I want it clearer, but with this one you kinda want it cloudy so I'd leave it where it is then transfer it as soon as it's ready. I think you'll be pleased with the result :D

This was one of my first ever kits and loved it mine come out nice and cloudy perfect for a wheat beer added some malt extract and a bit of extra sugar and was like rocket fuel :drunk:

now get yourself off to waitrose and buy a bottle of weinhenstepan (blue) or any other wheat beer and you'll see its about as close to a wheat beer as is water is to milk . With a wheat beer it should have a huge head that lasts till the last drop with a bread like aroma and banana or clove or even both strong in the taste and leaving you smacking your lips with a fresh tartness

darrellm said:
I've never use a secondary FV, just tend to leave it longer in the first FV if I want it clearer, but with this one you kinda want it cloudy so I'd leave it where it is then transfer it as soon as it's ready. I think you'll be pleased with the result :D

What was your FG mate?

Those suffering head retention issues, its down to your conditioning. You need a good two weeks in the warm, a good three in the cool, and probably a few more to be safe. Mine has plenty of head throughout.

We brewed to 21l with 1kg brew enhancer. It is watery and more like a pilsner but once chilled, carbed and in the jug, its pretty enjoyable. We've been giving it a good home anyway ;)

FG was 1014, not massively low but seemed to be stable so I bottled it, and I haven't had any bottle bombs yet nor is it particularly gassy . Wonder if the added extras prevented it going to 1010 or lower?

darrellm said:
FG was 1014, not massively low but seemed to be stable so I bottled it, and I haven't had any bottle bombs yet nor is it particularly gassy . Wonder if the added extras prevented it going to 1010 or lower?

i was wondering this as mine seemed to be stopped at 1012ish

darrellm said:
....and here it is.

wheatbeersmall.jpg

Mine has come out cloudy: 2 weeks in the bottle and yeast is solidifying at the bottom, gets a bit of a head after pouring but that soon disappears. I bottled the lot and put it in the fridge, have to say that this has come out very well. Glad I added in the extra orange and coriander (and made it with wheat spray malt), as the flavours really come through. Coopers Stout is still my no.1 favourite Coopers kit, but I now think this leaps firmly into the no.2 position :D Have passed a few out to mates and they all seem to love it, the ladies in particular - it's not going to last long :thumb:

Did you use a full kilo of wheat spraymalt or 50/50 with DME or sugar??

you should go with the wheat extract it's something like 30-50% barley and the rest wheat . No sugar as this is a thin ish brew to start with . I would also recommend using wb06 dried yeast instead of the kit yeast

pittsy said:
you should go with the wheat extract it's something like 30-50% barley and the rest wheat . No sugar as this is a thin ish brew to start with . I would also recommend using wb06 dried yeast instead of the kit yeast

Brilliant - I was thinking of changing the yeast but wasn't sure which one to go for. My LHBS stock this one too so that's decided! Thanks :thumb:

I've got this kit and i'm going to put it on in the morning.

I'm going to use 1kg of wheat dme
500g beer enhancer
Wb-06 yeast
20g of mittelfruh hops in a short boil with the dme

Any opinions on the amount of beer enhancer(maybe to much)?
If you have any suggestions pittsy the would be most welcome seen as you seem to be the wheat master :cheers:
B

I wouldn't use enhancer your better off with more wheat or dme (go for a light 1) Enhancer is 50% ish sugar anyway and that just ups the % but lowers the quality which to be honest this ain't gonna be . worth doing but if not to your liking please don't be put of hefeweizen cause this ain't ( sort of a weak tasting lager/wheat thing ...sorry)

Cheers pittsy

I have to order my stuff online so i'll just go with what i've got (minus the enhancer).will report back on how it turns out.

I'm going to start trying some extract recipes as soon as i get a big enough pot.I have read good reviews of the brew uk bavarian wheat extract.Do you have any experience doing these kind of recipes or did you just go straight to allgrain? :cheers:

B

As you may of guessed my opinion of kits ain't great although some i hear do come out fairly good but i do like extract brewing , yes i did do this and you will/should get some great results . When i started out brewing it was for wheat beers and not until i brewed an extract beer did i get good results . I've got a good wheat recipe i'll post in a new thread for you :D

Back