Simple recipe please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieDS

Regular.
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the right direction for a simple biab/all grain recipe which would be a good place to start for a first timer?
Style isn't too important (i'm not too fussy) but if possible i'd like one with as few grain and hop types as possible so i know what it is i'm tasting later.
Cheers guys
:cheers:

what size batch are you planning on doing? and what equipment do you have? Recipe will differ in quantities slightly depending on size of your pot. Also whether you are doing regular BIAB or MAXI-BIAB.

check out www.biabrewer.info for more information. Check out their calculator for scaling recipes to your equipment. I'd suggest a basic SMASH for your first attempt. Probably a MO and Cascade one if you like APA's

I was planning a 22l batch as i have a 33l electric boiler. As far as i can tell from researching i have all the equipment. To be honest i dont know the difference between BIAB and MAXI-BIAB :wha:
Thanks for the advice tho :thumb:

Easiest recipe ...... :hmm:

Choose 'main grain' somewhere between say 4 & 5 kg

decide if you want to add something like crystal malt ? between 200g & 400g

maybe a bit of torrified wheat or something to aid head retention (its a northern thing)

maybe somewhere between 20 - 40g of black or choccy malt to darken ?

hops, early addition 10-30g for bittering.

late hops 10-30g for aroma.

whatever you might pick from the above will make a drinkable beer :drink:

.......... the point I'm making, perhaps not very well, is it's not that difficult to make a perfectly drinkable beer without being over complicated, don't worry too much about the complexities of a recipe, the Auzzie have a great saying .... KISS, keep it simple stupid, and believe it or not it works :thumb:

Hi mate,

This was one of my first AG's

4kg pale malt
300g caramalt

Hops - brewers gold

40g start of boil
30g 45 mins in
20g last ten mins with quarter protofloc tab

Ferment with nottigham yeast

Quite a pleasant, fairly bitter ale.

Let me know how you get on if your decide to give it a go.

DirtyC

I would go with the "chuck it in" style of brewing...you are unlikely to end up with something that isn't drinkable and its a good learning experience. What I did was to download a brewing software such as Beersmith and create a recipe on their, it has a very easy to use system which allows you to decide on a style of beer you want and then estimate on the colour, bitterness and ABV of your beer by playing around with different grains and hops till you get what you are looking for. It will be hard to go too far wrong, and if you do, well you've learned what not to do for next time :thumb:

I;d recommend the "Sierra Nevada Pale Ale" kit I started with - order from the Malt Miller, everything in the box and instructions on the website. It's not specifically formulated for BIAB but it works and it's great. The best intro to AG/BIAB for me.

Thank you for posting that link.

I kept seeing references to BIAB but I had no idea what they were talking about.

I was thinking "Beer in a Bucket" which still left me confused.

At any rate, this is really cool way of brewing all grain before you have all of the equipment.

- Scott

Latest posts

Back