Looking for the best Alco& non alcoholic ginger beer recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GliddosVinos

Reaction score
Hi all

I would like to make some ginger beer for the kids to enjoy as well as an alcoholic varient for me and the missus.

I saw link somewhere for firery ginger beer that used chilli peppers which i would like to try.

It seems silly but all the recipes i see use yeast etc so how can i tell (and i know this is daft) if it will be alcoholic (or too much) for my kids to drink??!

I realise it is a daft question but the last thing i want is my kids passed out on the floor or saying hi to that guy .... Huuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyy who lives in that porcelain palace called the loo!

thanks

hi - having tried various ways to get non alcoholic ginger beer (yet sweet enough for kids/students) yet carbonated one of the easiest-but more expensive- is to use water kefir-off ebay- gets u fizzy drinkable ginger beer of good sweetness and a natural pleasant balnced acidity-its also meant to be probiotic-
this will have very if any alcohol in it as its broken down to form the acids and distinctive flavours. i say expensive because i made maybe 5l off the stuff then got tired of the almost daily maintainace-also i created quite alot of it...

if u do go down this route i would use the darkest sugar u can find and any ingrediants the size of the kefire grains eg mushed up ginger to be steeped in sugar solution then filtered out through a seive then a clean bit of tight/muslin-so as to keep kefire grains seperatable later- if this is too intimitating at the start use some ginger teabags- they work a treat- ferment in 2l pop bottles for a day or so (not fully closed) decant top layer into 1.5 pop bottle/little bottles seal-refill 2l bottle and leave for few days till carbed, fridge and drink-simples- as you can see this rapidly makes alot of stuff-but downscaling to 500ml bottles should be fine...

as for the alcoholic stuff pure yeast works a treat and use splenda to sweeten- takes a bit longer though

I love the taste of Jeremiah Weed, it's a "ginger, fruity" brew and I love to find a recipe for a clone!

BigDDunc said:
I love the taste of Jeremiah Weed, it's a "ginger, fruity" brew and I love to find a recipe for a clone!

I love the Jerimiah Weed stuff too ... if u get a clone for the ginger or the sour mash brew please please please let me know :drunk: :hat:

just remebered i had a go at describing how i would go about cloning that here:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30611&p=291901&hilit=weed+beer#p291901

in retrospect i would say make weakish fizzy ginger beer-8% max using whatever just not baking yeast -champagne is best-plus nutrients suagr in a 5l tesco waterbottle then rack into pop bottle plus wee bit more suagr and add flavours required to glass-topup with fizzy boozy liquid and done- cheap alcopop, minimal hassle

Latest posts

Back