Re: Wilko's Delicate Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhousebrewing

Reaction score
Started this kit 6th April using tap water with half a campden tablet, 500g enhancer and 900g brewer's sugar, rehydrated yeast and short brewed to 21litres.
Corrected SG of 1044, started fementing quickly at a constant 20-21degC, bubbling through the airlock slowed after 2 days.
By 14th April SG had dropped to 1005 but plenty of bubbles in the sample tube, by 16th SG down to 1004 and fewer bubbles.
17/4/13 SG 1004 and virtually no bubbles in the sample tube - tasted a little yeasty & obviously flat but not far off drinkable even at this stage. Also surpringly clear so will see how much the finings and standing in the cold improve things over the next few days before bottling.

Bottled 20/4 via 2ndry FV to batch prime, tasted pretty good. By 23/4 it seems to have carbonated well, very thin layer of sediment and pretty clear.

Still impressed & will update on first tasting in around 3 weeks.

Stuart

I made this on the 14/3/2013
I've just cracked a few open tonight 22/4 and for a kit it's not bad at all.
I brewed it full length with 500g of spray malt and 1KG of brewing sugar.
It seems to be going down rather well in fact too well for a Monday night. :cheers:

Put one of these on last week, I added a brew enchancer pack as per the instructions and a little extra brewing sugar. The thing was off like a train, bubbling within 4 hours of adding the yeast. I remembered to take a reading off the hydrometer. 8 days on the fermentation appears to all but have stopped, will take another reading tonight and see where we are, 1 question - What should I be aiming for as a end point?

Now I have another question, I plan to bottle in 1ltr PET and intend on batch priming in a 2nd FV. I have some finings that I was considering adding. The plan was to transfer to a 2nd FV, batch prime and then add the finings, leave it to clear for a couple of days then bottle. Is this okay, or am I better to transfer to 2nd FV, add the finings, leave to settle for a couple of days transfer back to another FV then batch prime before bottling.

Does the addition of finigns affect the way in which the 2nd fermentation takes place in the bottle, will there be enough yeast left in the liquid to carbonate fully?

Thks,

Rich

Rich,

My understanding was you put the finings in the FV when the OG is static, leave a few days then syphone to a 2nd FV and batch prime/bottle from there.
I had one PET bottle in my batch to test carbonation and it went hard in 2 days of being in the warm.

HTH
Stuart

When I get a second FV spare I'm going to set off one of these and a youngs pilsener.
Going to replace the kit yeast with lager yeast and brew each kit with 500g of extra light DME and 500g of Dextrose.
Also got some sachets of pilsener enzyme so I'll chuck that in too.

Seem to have disposed of the instructions, anyone suggest how much sugar to use for priming before bottling. Planning on batch priming in 2nd FV.

redhousebrewing said:
The instructions supplied say 0.5 teaspoon per pint or 85g for batch priming.
HTH
Stuart

:thumb: Thanks Stuart, going to bottle it this evening, it's had 3 days to clear since I added the finings.

BicesterTerrier said:
redhousebrewing said:
The instructions supplied say 0.5 teaspoon per pint or 85g for batch priming.
HTH
Stuart

:thumb: Thanks Stuart, going to bottle it this evening, it's had 3 days to clear since I added the finings.

So I didn't get round to bottling it.

The finings went in on Saturday, it is now Thursday, will this mean that everything including the yeast will have dropped out, or will there be sufficient yeasties left to start carbonate the product while it conditions? Should I add a little of the sludge from the bottom of the FV into the clean vessel when I batch prime?

Rich

Do a quick search on finings - plenty of guidance including this which suggests bottling after 5 days so you should be fine.

HTH
Stuart

Got one of these almost finished.

Started a week ago, 1kg Brewing sugar, 500g Light malt extract, brewed short to around 19 litres.

Smells fantastic, and very little life, so looks like time to shift it to a higher place to make sure it all settles so as to transfer and batch prime it first, got some 1ltr pets, smells fantastic at the moment.

Readings would have it around and just above 5.2%, so stella style :D

At 4 weeks conditioning I thought this was worth a try - nice and clear, carbonation ok and some head - I would do this again but maybe up the priming sugar from 85g next time (I'm assuming that will help with fizz and head). Taste is good and will be very happy drinking and offering this round :cheers:
Stuart

fecktestpilsner_zpsdb647e49.jpg

Bottled mine Sunday.
Even flat and warm it tasted rather nice.

Finished at 1.008 so around 5.4% in the end
Transferred it into my second bucket with just under 90g of disolved sugar (I couldnt be bothered to remove any from the jug when I over poured)
It's currently sat in my warm water bath nad will be going into the cellar tomorrow
fair bit of haze at present, but can see about a centimetre of daylight at the top at so far, and some small bubbles :D

MadrikXIV said:
Bottled mine Sunday.
Even flat and warm it tasted rather nice.

Finished at 1.008 so around 5.4% in the end
Transferred it into my second bucket with just under 90g of disolved sugar (I couldnt be bothered to remove any from the jug when I over poured)
It's currently sat in my warm water bath nad will be going into the cellar tomorrow
fair bit of haze at present, but can see about a centimetre of daylight at the top at so far, and some small bubbles :D

I was amazed how quickly this cleared. Even though I used finings in the FV it bottled quite cloudy even after 5 days restgin after finings addition. Once in the bottle it was starting to clear overnight, perhaps 1cm of clear liquid in the 1st 24hrs. Now after 10 days in the shower it is in the garage. Any ideas on how long this needs to mature before drinking - also will chilling it down create a haze? Or does it stay clear?

** Reason it was in the shower was that I went on holiday for 1 week and after adding a little more priming sugar than I meant to was concerned it might get lively.

BicesterTerrier said:
I was amazed how quickly this cleared. Even though I used finings in the FV it bottled quite cloudy even after 5 days restgin after finings addition. Once in the bottle it was starting to clear overnight, perhaps 1cm of clear liquid in the 1st 24hrs. Now after 10 days in the shower it is in the garage. Any ideas on how long this needs to mature before drinking - also will chilling it down create a haze? Or does it stay clear?

** Reason it was in the shower was that I went on holiday for 1 week and after adding a little more priming sugar than I meant to was concerned it might get lively.

I found a calculator that suggested at least 4 weeks conditioning based on my batch's SG/FG.
I primed with the 85g they recommend - I think I'll be trying a bit more next time so your over-priming sounds good!

Stuart

Mines been sat on the cellar floor for a week, from looking like apple juice when I bottled it, its cleared a lot in the last day or 3, almost perfect and I didn't use any finings.

Tried the half filled bottle, although not much fizz at the moment after a week, it tasted good, fingers crossed it carbs up a bit as the bottles are fairly solid at the moment

About half way through drinking this batch and brewed to 21 litres with the extra 500g of beer enhancer its pretty good (certainly for the money).
Will probably try a different lager next just to be able to compare (and Wilkos have stopped doing the free brewing sugar with their kits).

Stuart

Tried a bottle of this yesterday. Bottled on 9th May, so still a bit to go yet.

First thing, not very fizzy, although once in a decent glass I got a bit of fizz from it.

Second thing, chilled it down in a bucket of ice, and it came out hazy.

I used finings before bottling, could the yeasties have settled out too much and therefore not enough left to carbonate?

As for the haze, is this through not leaving it long enough post finings addition? It was a little hazy when it went in the bottle. Will this haze production go with further conditioning, do I need to find somewhere extra cool for it?

Taste wise, I must say I was very please, lovely flavour. Better than the Carlsberg I had after it.

Hi,

I picked up this kit in the Wilko sale, and when i was there also grabbed a couple of bags of muntons beer enhancer. Was planning to use one of these in the pilsner kit but wouldn't mind the end product being a bit stronger than the advertised 4%. Can i add some more fermentables? And if so what would you recommend?

Ta

keith

Back