Isleworth vineyard update 7

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having completed the weed/moisture control progam, I can now focus on less arduous matters. I have sprayed against powdery mildew and scale insects in good time this year, installed adequate netting against birds and planted some more replacement vines. All the vines have been fed, moisture level is good, weather prospects are fine for pollination and apart from the absurd theft of £10 worth of bark chips, security issues are not threatening.
The purchase of 10 mature but dead bacchus vines has made me angry at being conned. Only 5 of the 16 rondo vines from the same source show signs of life. Sorry to reinforce a stereotype, but don't buy secondhand vines from a Scotswoman!
There are fewer potential bunches this year, but on the basis that a mature vine will only produce a finite yield, this is of little concern, considering that last year's yield was zero!
I now have 13 varieties of vines growing. This was not the plan. It's just the way it's turning out.

I planted a chardonnay and a phoenix in my greenhouse 2 years ago and got a small crop last year. Both did well but the phoenix was so healthy with good large bunches of grapes suitable for eating or wine. I had 13 Himrod vines outside in the garden, all from cuttings of the original two bought 6 years ago. I put the lot in together for the wine and it came out OK. I have never sprayed anything for many years in my garden and I get no infestations at all. I was shocked to see what looked like loads of little eggs on the chardonnay :eek: . But it turned out to be "Vine Pearls". (balls of sap) I had not heard of that one before. I have now moved house, so I hope the new owner will keep up the vines. I have in the past had, Siegerrebe, Madeliene Angevine, Pinot Noir, growing, but always moved before I got any significant crop. A bottle of my Pinot Noir is buried in my patio, been there for over 20 years, be interesting to drink but as I have noved I doubt the owner will let me dig it up!

I just counted the potential bunches of grapes - over 700 on 33 vines. I have a large vine at home which produced 130 bunches last year, but this would have yielded a mere 6 bottles if the birds hadn't eaten about a quarter of them. At that rate, 700 bunches would produce little more than 30 bottles, about 1 per vine! Still, early days yet.

Himrods, being hybrids had the potential for 14lbs per vine. Enough for 1 gallon. I didnt grow them for long enough to get that amount, but a man I knew who had one for years called it "the triffid".
They say that if you want to make a small fortune from a vineyard, then you have to start with a large fortune!!

When the vineyard was first set up with 96 young vines, the first vintage was about the same amount, at a cost of £100 per bottle! In my experience, the yield more or less doubles every year for the first 5 years and then levels off. At best then, after 10 years this would whittle down to about £1 a bottle. Using a 30 bottle kit, I can achieve this in 7 days!

I only have 2 established whites at the moment but i get around 85 ltr from them every year and very nice wine they produce too. Would love some cuttings tony end of season?? :cheers:

I bought 10 cuttings, with roots, but only 2 survived, and one of these is rather weak. I carefully selected 17 cuttings last autumn. Only 3 survived. A more reliable method of propagation is to let a shoot grow long enough and bury the end bud, weighted down with a brick. The bud will produce roots more readily because it's being sustained by the 'parent' vine. Once established, it can be cut off and transplanted, or, if the original shoot was long enough, left to grow in place. However, the new vine will be growing on its own roots, just like any cutting, rather than grafted onto a phyloxerra resistant rootstock, therefore vulnerable to the disease, for which there is no cure. The disease has not been eradicated and cases still get reported, so there is a risk. There may be laws against the sale and movement of ungrafted vines for this reason. The Post Office lists live plants listed under Restricted Goods for export.
I have had more success using this method than with cuttings, but either way, it takes many years to develop a productive plant from them.

screamlead said:
I only have 2 established whites at the moment but i get around 85 ltr from them every year and very nice wine they produce too. Would love some cuttings tony end of season?? :cheers:
As I cant remember passing through Kemer when It was much less than 35deg, I think you have a head start on us poor rained on Brits.

Latest posts

Back