Raspberry and Apple Cider Query Re Pectolase

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattN

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Folks
I have made a small batch of Raspberry and Apple Cider pretty much following the guidelines of Moley’s WOW. I am at the ‘Topping Up’ stage now after a vigorous fermentation and realised that I hadn't added and pectolase. I do have some, however (maybe wrongly) thought that as I hadn’t added fresh fruit this would not be necessary.

If you feel that I should add this, at this stage please would you help me with the amount I need. The pack states 1 or 2 teaspoons for 23 litres. When I ‘top up’ I will have 5 litres.

I used two litres of Raspberry and Apple juice and two litres of Apple juice from Aldi.

Regards
Matt

I've never needed pectolase for supermarket apple juice. I don't think the raspberry will change that. BUT, it can't hurt to chuck a bit in.

Ok thanks. I'm going to go with half a teaspoon at the same time as I top up with water.

By the way, this has been fermenting for six days now and it is still popping at a rate of one per second. Is this normal?

Ta

Matt

Fro a WOW, probably. For a TC you'd expect it to start slowing down about now.

If you made a TC as per moleys WOW instructions then you have a wine not a cider and with that much sugar in it, it will take longer.

If you have infact made a wow and not a cider then drink it as a wine and not a cider. :grin:

graysalchemy said:
If you made a TC as per moleys WOW instructions then you have a wine not a cider and with that much sugar in it, it will take longer.

If you have infact made a wow and not a cider then drink it as a wine and not a cider. :grin:

I think that I will have to read this again later when I'm having a drink! lol

Matt

I have just taken a reading on this and it is .995 as I think that it has now stopped fermenting.

A couple of questions

Should I rack it into another DJ and if so do I should I top it up with water? How long should I leave it?

If I use some fining's on this will I still be able to carbonate it in the bottle.

Thanks

Matt

Back