Could someone check my recipe please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droche

Reaction score
Hello, I've been given 2 cans of Coopers amber extract 1.5 kg each and I'm wanting to brew a beer loosely based on Old Speckled Hen. I've tried using brewtarget but I'm not sure that I'm doing it right especially the batch size part. I want to end up with about 15 litres of beer as that would use all the bottles I've got at the moment. I have challenger and goldings hops and here's what I'm thinking of doing:

6 litres of boiling water with 1 can of extract added then 60 min boil with following hops
40g challenger hops - 60 min
30g goldings - 20 min
10g challenger - 20 min
20 g goldings - 5 mins

Then top up with 2nd can and water to about 16 litres.

Could anyone tell me roughly what IBU that would come out at. I searched on net and some say Speckled Hen is about 40 - 50 IBU.
Or if anyone could suggest a recipe that would be appreciated. I don't want to use grain at the moment, I haven't got a big enough pot or talked SWMBO into it yet.

Thanks

:cheers:

You'd have double the IBUs you need with that schedule. You could do this 30 minute boil:

Challenger 8.8 AA 20g 30 mins
EKG 6.5 AA 20g 30 mins
Challenger 10g 10 mins
EKG 20g 0 mins

This would give 44 IBUs.

Try Brewmate, I found it much more straight forward than Brewtarget.

Thanks for the replies. 30 mins does sound right in hind sight, the recipes I found online were for 5 or 6 gallons and I'll take a look at brewmate.

Thanks for your time.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back