first time brewer 7 day wine kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phester

Reaction score
I am attempting to brew my first batch

the equipment I got is only the buckets 23lt max.

The kit I am trying to make is better brew 7 day pino grigio. 4.5lt kit

due to the sampling jar being broken in the kit I found it hard to try and take the starting SG.

I attempted using a wine bottle but it sticks to the neck of the bottle.

One fear I have is that the 4.5lt is lost in the large bucket. I did do a fair bit of reading before and added 250gm of cane sugar to the mix with a little water as I wanted a little more than 11% proof (as per the instruction)

From my attempted SG reading it is in the 12% range. 1074 SG before I pitched in the yeast if i am reading it right.

It is approaching 24hrs and so far no bubbles. The lid is on tight.

I have also noticed that the kit is 1 month out of date.

Should I be worried at this point

Also I plan re-use the screw top wine bottles that have been sterilized for a while. Am I doing anything wrong at this point?

Thanks for your help

Welcome :cheers: Good luck with the brew. Don't worry too much about the size of the container or the lack of bubbles. Buckets are notorious for not getting a good seal. A good cheap alternative, and one you may want to consider when you rack, is a 5lt pet water bottle from the supermarket. They make great fv's and if you drill a hole in the lid you can fit a bubbler. But after you rack you would be advised to put it in a smaller container as there is less chance of oxidation.

Phester even though you have a lot of head space sealing the lid is probably not a good idea.

The bucket is covered but not sealed. It has a bubbler. SO far so good its bubbling nicely now. now I must play the waiting game until wed to see if fermentation will finish on time :)

One other thing to remember is that kit instructions are always a little over ambitious. Don't be thinking it will be ready to drink in a week, a month minimum is more realistic. :thumb:

phester said:
The bucket is covered but not sealed. It has a bubbler. SO far so good its bubbling nicely now. now I must play the waiting game until wed to see if fermentation will finish on time :)

If the lid has an airlock then seal it, if you don't it may appear fermentation has finished before it has as the CO2 could be escaping through the gap between lid and bucket even though the airlock is not bubbling. :thumb:

well it fermented out ok.

1.Can one assume that fermentation is complete when the double bubble airlock relaxes back. i.e no more pressure pushing on the water so it relaxes back to as if you were just preparing it.

2. inital sg can not be trusted as i measured it in a wine bottle but the kit is rated at 11% and I added alittle sugar 100g I think. The SG was in teh 12% range

Final SG was 1.002 and I saw no signs of life in the must.

I was a little ambitious with the racking off and transfered alittle of the sediment into my last bottle.

Well I have drank a few glasses of it 1 day after bottling. It has a strong smell (odour) but tasted fine.

1 week later I am happy to report that even the misses think its good. Would like to make it a little drier but have no idea how to keep the fermentation going

Final SG was 1.002

1 week later I am happy to report that even the misses think its good. Would like to make it a little drier but have no idea how to keep the fermentation going

1.002 is a little high for it to be finishing, the few kits i have made said let it get to 995 then stop it, it may be the temperature that has stopped it early, having said that my kitchen is at 15c i have never had any of my WOW's finish early.

Latest posts

Back