please check this recipe..?..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
Recipe check please.

Can you do a sanity check on this recipe please, its based on the Coopers Imperial Stout recipe.

1 x tin of Young's Bitter
1000g amber DME + hop tea 20g Challenger
1 x tin of Young's Plisner
1000g Dextrose
Partial mash of -
Crystal malt 1000g
Roasted barley 350.
Chocolate malt. 250g

Yeast - yeast cake from AG TT Landlord

Mix it all up to 20 litres, ferment, bottle and leave for a year.

Atb. Aamcle

crystal might be a bit high, with that many fermentables it's likely to be sweet anyway.

if you want a high strength english IPA I think you're in the right direction. I would maybe boil the teabag for 15 minutes to add flavour because a year on you won't get much aroma.

RobWalker said:
if you want a high strength english IPA I think you're in the right direction. I would maybe boil the teabag for 15 minutes to add flavour because a year on you won't get much aroma.

When did an IPA have Chocolate malt and Roasted Barley in it :whistle: :whistle:

or did you think it was one of those 'Black IPA' abominations. :lol: :lol:

I am playing around with a recipie for a IBA some of the ones I have tasted have been fantastic. Yes then are very far from traditional but then I suppose everything moves on and it seems at the minute when it comes to craft beer the Americans are trying lots of new things and now we have a few breweries starting this side of the pond that are pushing beers to extremes.

+1 on the crystal being very high, I'd leave it out altogether or at least reduce to a similar level to the other grain additions

Vinnyc said:
I am playing around with a recipie for a IBA some of the ones I have tasted have been fantastic. Yes then are very far from traditional but then I suppose everything moves on and it seems at the minute when it comes to craft beer the Americans are trying lots of new things and now we have a few breweries starting this side of the pond that are pushing beers to extremes.

Glad to see you are not calling a black IPA :lol: :lol:

Its a use up based Coopers RIS recipe not any type of IPA.
So I'm using the DME to make a Dark Ale and the other bits to convert the bitter to stout. I had a dig around in the recipe section and it seems just a matter of additions.

I'll chop the 1000g down to 300g.

Would Nottingham be a good choice of yeast? The ABV should be high.

Atb. Aamcle

never seen anything like that as a recipe. Agreed that the crystal looks too high, especially with another 250g's of chocolate. Let us know how it goes...

I wouldn't something like this myself because if I experimenting, i'd rather do it AG.

If I wanted to make a mad burger, i'd get the mince & other ingredients and get to work! Wouldn't go putting a big mac between a whopper and adding a bit of my own salad. *nominates for unnecessary analogy of the week award :lol:

Latest posts

Back