Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am guessing it will be a totally diferent beer in a month or two, make sure you save some so you can taste what it should taste like when it is properly matured.
In my experience of doing this beer, once it's ready to drink which is at the point it has cleared say after about three weeks from bottling, that's it, i.e. it does not 'mature' like other beers. The only thing you will notice over time is that the effect of the dry hop will slowly fade.

like terry says it doesn't do any harm having this beer earlier than most as its all about the hops. I waited four weeks but really could have started earlier.
I won't be making this error with the razorback Im bottling this weekend. even if its not fully carbed up ill not be too bothered.

I never did this kit but the AAA (it was my last ever kit) I agree with the above have it while the hop hit is fresh and it will be nice.. once the dry hop fades a few months later it will by comparison seem a little average.

!

The fermentation got underway really quickly and was finished after about 6 days. So I dry hopped on day 7 and bottled on day 9. I propably should have waited, but like I said.... my first kit!

The bottling didn't go well. I tried to transfer into a bottling bin using a spigot and syphon hose. The hose didn't form a good seal around the spigot so a lot of air got into the beer. It was also a very hot day, so a little bit of sweat dripped in there too!

I drank the first bottle after about 5 days conditioning at room temp, and then 48 hours in the fridge. The beer was really hoppy, the best way I could define the flavours is that they were sharp with a bitterness that hit after swallowing. After a few more days conditioning and another 48 hours in the fridge the beer has mellowed somewhat and is much more rounded. It's still a very hoppy beer, but beginning to take on a less severe character.

I would recommend this to any hop heads out there, it's just about at the limit of bitterness for me. My girlfriend hates it!

I think id hate it too after 9 days in the fv. hopefully lesson learned:nono::grin:

So my Young's has been in the fermenter for 12 days and reached an og of 1010. Is it now time to put the hops in? Do I just throw them in?
Also there's a lot of water/condensation on the inside of the lid of the fermenter so when I take the lid off will this water ruin the beer?? Cheers in advance

I out my hops in a weighted muslin.
Btw
Cracked the PV open last week
Wicked pint, few mates were totally impressed

First attempt at it was bottled tonight after 17 days fermentation and 3 dry hopped. Only my second attempt at homebrew after doing their Red India Ale in the summer that was fairly decent. After adapting techniques from reading up on here I've got high hopes for this one so will see how long I hold off before cracking one open. Hops aroma was fantastic.

Mine was in the bottle for 6 days as I was away working so there was no temptation.
Was a good drink from the off. It does clear well after a few weeks in the bottle.
Last week I opened a bottle of Brewdog Punk IPA as mine was still chilling in the fridge, my own brew was clearer than the Brewdog so I was quite pleased as it's also as good and I think a fair bit stronger.
Hope you enjoy it. I don't have a lot left so will put another one on when I'm home next.

I had a BBQ last weekend and offered the Youngs AIPAs around. I was totally amazed by the change in flavors since I first had a taste. After 5 weeks in the bottle these beers were well rounded, fruity and delicious. Comments ranged from "mmmm.... nice!" to "the best beer I've ever tasted"

I had a BBQ last weekend and offered the Youngs AIPAs around. I was totally amazed by the change in flavors since I first had a taste. After 5 weeks in the bottle these beers were well rounded, fruity and delicious. Comments ranged from "mmmm.... nice!" to "the best beer I've ever tasted"

I got the comment 'had a twang' to them. which could be either way

I've had mine in the bottle now for 12 days. The instructions say to transfer them to a cool dark place after two weeks. Should I leave them to condition in a warm room for longer (as people are mentioning 3 weeks before drinking) or transfer them in two days' time to my beer fridge in garage and leave them for a week longer? I'm desperate to try one!

I've had mine in the bottle now for 12 days. The instructions say to transfer them to a cool dark place after two weeks. Should I leave them to condition in a warm room for longer (as people are mentioning 3 weeks before drinking) or transfer them in two days' time to my beer fridge in garage and leave them for a week longer? I'm desperate to try one!
In my experience this beer is ready to drink when carbed up and importantly fully clear. Unless you have used PET bottles and can test the degree of carbonation I would give it another two days in the warm to finish carbing, at least week in the fridge, and then when it's clear try one. If the yeast hasn't cleared properly it will give a secondary taste to your beer which you probably want to avoid, so its worth the wait

Try one now! You won't be disappointed

Crack one open, you know you want to!

I couldn't resist so chilled a 330ml bottle in freezer, purely for research purposes obviously. Carbed reasonably well after 13 days in the bottle. Tastes great already. Big hops and tropical flavours. Just what you want from an American IPA. Still a little cloudy after less than a fortnight. It's going to be fantastic when cleared. Can't wait! I think I may have to get another one in the FV!

https://www.biggerjugs.co.uk/collections/all/youngs-homebrew

I think after postage its around 27quid which you would prob get for the same price two cans of the wilkos IPA or the coopers on offer (never seen the coopers for a tenner though?). the dextrose would also have to be two quid (offer) .
I've stumbled at the last hurdle with the four different types of hops Ud need to achieve a similar clone, but lets just say 100grams of cascade .
finally Ur given a whopping 20gram pack of west coast yeast.
looks like I've overlooked the price of buying buying it all separate.
the kit wins in my opinion

I got the comment 'had a twang' to them. which could be either way

Ive given up trying to let people taste homebrew unless they show an interest first.
Most of them dont have a clue what a beer with some flavour in it tastes like.
If they have drunk a Punk IPA and enjoyed it then maybe yes but if all they drink is Heineken or John Smiths then forget it.

Back