Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was planning on starting my first AG tonight and thought I'd run it past the experts first :)

AG 1

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 8.1 (EBC): 16.0
Bitterness (IBU): 35.1 (Average)

90.91% Maris Otter Malt
9.09% Crystal 30

1.2 g/L Amarillo (10.5% Alpha) @ 55 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Amarillo (10.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Comments/tips welcome, cheers!

A bit tidier now

AG 1
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 10.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.200
Total Hops (g): 22.00
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Bitterness (IBU): 41.7 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (90.91%)
0.200 kg Crystal 30 (9.09%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Amarillo Pellet (10.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
10.0 g Amarillo Pellet (10.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.

Was planning on starting my first AG tonight and thought I'd run it past the experts first :)

AG 1

Alcohol (ABV): 4.72 %
Bitterness (IBU): 35.1 (Average)

90.91% Maris Otter Malt
9.09% Crystal 30

1.2 g/L Amarillo (10.5% Alpha) @ 55 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Amarillo (10.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Comments/tips welcome, cheers!

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever!

4 hrs later and it's in the FV at last. All went well as I'd hoped, though I did get an OG of 1.058 which was a bit higher than expected.

Great fun though!

Excellent. You have sparged well my son. Nick Cave would be proud of you. :thumb:

You will get it down to three hours.

Did you get the full 10 litres?

Yeah, I split the water evenly, 7 litres each for mash and sparge, ended up with exactly 10 litres (according to the markings on my FV anyway)

No airlock activity yet, but I'll not worry yet :D

Well today was my day - I did my All Grain simple recipe.
I used clibits simple recipe and used marris otter and fuggles.

I was unsure about the grain being crushed in the first place, so I did one batch and got 5 litres before the boil. Not sure of the amount used in the first place, first mistake.

I was unsure of the wort that resulted so milled the 2nd batch of marris otter to start again, this time I did measure 10 litres and put into the pot and the grains.

I think the temp may have been slightly high too. So, onto the next step and into my wort boiler.

It took ages to come to the boil I was on 84 deg so added the first Fuggles.

I had also added the 5 litres so now had 15 litres. Then watched and after about 45 to 50 mins the temp went up to 94 and really did boil. Added the 2nd batch of fuggles when all done I strained into FV and cooled it down to about 27 deg before adding the SO4 The SG was 1050 so I have just over 11 litres. Let's hope it does work - more updates later.

Last edited by a moderator:
so in the end the recipe was

4kg marris otter done in 2 parts (batch one yeilded 5L)
added to 2nd batch of 10L
30g fuggles

10g at "boil" 20g final 5 mins
final total in F.V 11L

bubbling away nicely today

You should only need 2kg Maris Otter for 10 litres. We can discuss your method...

So I've just measured my pan in anticipation of starting all grain soon, I have a 12 litre pan, on top of that, pocket scales, thermometer, no bag yet, anything else I need? And will my pan be big enough

Although my first AG brew has some faults that I can easily avoid next time, it is probably the most flavoursome beer I have made so far since I came back into the brewing hobby. Stove top brewing following Clibit's method is extremely simple and effective.

Single malt; single hop; minimal outlay; brilliant beer. What more could you want at £1.50 a gallon?

:)

Has anyone done a Youtube video of this (I haven't read through this whole thread)? I'm intrigued by this and would like to give it a try but some of the steps confuse me (sorry!)

This is totally alien to me but I'd like to try it.

I have a Homebrew shop close to me but are only selling the Maris Otter in 25kg bags. I have an option of getting 1kg Pale Malt Whole, I'm assuming this will do the same job? I also have the option of getting it crushed? Would that be better?

I might have a bash at this next weekend but some of the steps confuse me so expect many more basic questions.

Latest posts

Back