Looking for a Mrs Brown clone recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCJones87

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping some of you have heard of Siren Craft brew, and hoping even more that some of you will have tried Mrs Brown - their collaboration brew with Magic Rock. I just sampled this deliciousness and I have to say this is easily in my top 3 brews, if not my all time favourite. The label description states "Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Brown Ale with Pecans, Vanilla and Maple Syrup"....oh yeah and its a whopping 9.5% :-o :drunk:

I have previously asked for any ideas on where to source a barrel from and it looks like the answer from a homebrewing side of things is to soak some oak chips in bourbon and chuck them in the FV after its been bobbling away for a few days.

If i'm being honest I would love it if someone were able to pull the recipe out of a hat and call it a day but in reality i doubt that is going to happen.. so any advice on weights of oak chips, how long to soak them in bourbon for... how much bourbon... anyone used vanilla or pecan nuts in a brew - when should they go in, how should they be prepped - do I crush the nuts? do I scrape the seeds out of the vanilla pods? or is it better to use vanilla extract?

sorry for the number of questions... I guess I got a bit excited when I started this beer... sad to say its now finished!!! :?

Hi all,

Hoping some of you have heard of Siren Craft brew, and hoping even more that some of you will have tried Mrs Brown - their collaboration brew with Magic Rock. I just sampled this deliciousness and I have to say this is easily in my top 3 brews, if not my all time favourite. The label description states "Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Brown Ale with Pecans, Vanilla and Maple Syrup"....oh yeah and its a whopping 9.5% :-o :drunk:

I have previously asked for any ideas on where to source a barrel from and it looks like the answer from a homebrewing side of things is to soak some oak chips in bourbon and chuck them in the FV after its been bobbling away for a few days.

If i'm being honest I would love it if someone were able to pull the recipe out of a hat and call it a day but in reality i doubt that is going to happen.. so any advice on weights of oak chips, how long to soak them in bourbon for... how much bourbon... anyone used vanilla or pecan nuts in a brew - when should they go in, how should they be prepped - do I crush the nuts? do I scrape the seeds out of the vanilla pods? or is it better to use vanilla extract?

sorry for the number of questions... I guess I got a bit excited when I started this beer... sad to say its now finished!!! :?

Well I've never heard of the beer but to try and answer some of your Q's

First off you could try a bit of googling to find your answer or simply experiment with trial and error on small (1G/5L) batches. I've found trying things by trial and error I've found is a great way to learn about and improve brewing processes

You could start by soaking the wood chips in bourbon for a week to see how much they absorb. As for how much, just so the chips are covered
How many? You could just use the all of the packet from that you get from the HB. I say this because once you've soaked them and added them to your barrel after fermentation, take a sample say once per week and see if your happy with the result. Once your happy are start drinking your beer.

Vanilla can be added by using extract in the following way. Take 1L/500ml of your wort before fermenation and add a few drops of vanilla extract and taste. Keep adding drops/tasting till your happy then scale up to your main batch.

Not sure about how you add vanilla pods.

Same with pecan nuts. Never heard of adding nuts to beer

As a caveat I haven't tried out the suggestions with the wood chips or vanilla. Just read about how to do it (in the case of the vanilla) and an educated guess based on reading about adding other things to beer (in the case of the wood chips)

Two of the best breweries there.... I'd consider emailing them and see what they say. Tell them that you are a fan and would like to brew something in the style, but maybe don't explicitly ask for a recipe as that may seem a little rude.

Regarding vanilla pods; split, strips seeds, and chuck the whole lot in the boil. One pod is enough to flavour a 23l batch subtly.

Latest posts

Back