Super Tweaked Wakatu

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Brewed this recently

4.5 k pilsner
250g Caramalt
750g Munich

Original Gravity: 1.052 efficiency

First Wort:10g Wakatu (6.6%AA)

22g Magnum (14.2%AA) 60 mins
15g Wakatu (6.6%AA) 15 mins
15g Wakatu (6.6%AA) 10 mins
15g Wakatu (6.6%AA) 5 mins
15g Wakatu (6.6%AA) 0 mins

WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

Boil size was about 28L and I got 23L batch size.

Beer was pretty good but I think it was under hopped for my tastes. I've decided to have a second crack with it and have tweaked the recipe a bit. I'm also using a different batch of wakatu with higher AA. I've come up with this.

4.5 k pilsner
250g Caramalt
500g Munich
250g Malted Oats

27g Magnum (14.2%AA) 60 mins
33g Wakatu (8.1%AA) 10 mins
33g Wakatu (8.1%AA) 5 mins
34g Wakatu (8.1%AA) 0 mins

I've dialed back the Munich a little. It was nice but a little too malty for my taste. Perhaps more noticeable because it was under hopped. I've replaced some of the Munich with some malted oats as I like the texture and head that it produces. I've also changed the hop schedule around a bit. Should be around 57.14 IBUs with hopefully a bit more coming through from the Wakatu. I'll dry hop it as well with some more Wakatu. Wonder if I should push some more hops into the late additions

I use grams/litre as a rough guide to hopping. Your first brew was 82g for 23 litres, just over 3g per litre. This one is 127g in 23 litres, just over 5g per litre. My beers tend to range from 3g to 10g per litre.

SteveJ can tell you about the upper limits. :thumb:

So if you can compare, what would 10g per litre equate to as in other beers? What I mean is, could you name a beer that would have the same sort of hoppiness?

I use grams/litre as a rough guide to hopping. Your first brew was 82g for 23 litres, just over 3g per litre. This one is 127g in 23 litres, just over 5g per litre. My beers tend to range from 3g to 10g per litre.

SteveJ can tell you about the upper limits. :thumb:

Hehe:thumb:

Brewed this recently

4.5 k pilsner
250g Caramalt
750g Munich

Original Gravity: 1.052 efficiency

First Wort:10g Wakatu (6.6%AA)

22g Magnum (14.2%AA) 60 mins
15g Wakatu (6.6%AA) 15 mins
15g Wakatu (6.6%AA) 10 mins
15g Wakatu (6.6%AA) 5 mins
15g Wakatu (6.6%AA) 0 mins

Boil size was about 28L and I got 23L batch size.

Beer was pretty good but I think it was under hopped for my tastes. I've decided to have a second crack with it and have tweaked the recipe a bit. I'm also using a different batch of wakatu with higher AA. I've come up with this.

4.5 k pilsner
250g Caramalt
500g Munich
250g Malted Oats

27g Magnum (14.2%AA) 60 mins
33g Wakatu (8.1%AA) 10 mins
33g Wakatu (8.1%AA) 5 mins
34g Wakatu (8.1%AA) 0 mins

I've dialed back the Munich a little. It was nice but a little too malty for my taste. Perhaps more noticeable because it was under hopped. I've replaced some of the Munich with some malted oats as I like the texture and head that it produces. I've also changed the hop schedule around a bit. Should be around 57.14 IBUs with hopefully a bit more coming through from the Wakatu. I'll dry hop it as well with some more Wakatu. Wonder if I should push some more hops into the late additions

Oh now your talking add more:lol: My latest brew had 320g additions in total:grin:

So if you can compare, what would 10g per litre equate to as in other beers? What I mean is, could you name a beer that would have the same sort of hoppiness?

Not off the top of my head. I do it more to compare against my own brews, but you can look at clone recipes and divide the total hops by the litres.

Of course, if all the hops are chicked in at 60 mins, you'll get a very different beer, and hoppiness, than if you chuck them all in at 10 minutes. So it probably makes sense to ignore the bittering hops and compare beers more by what hops go in in the last 20-30 minutes. And dry hops are a separate issue.

But I just do a rough comparison by checking the total hopping per litre in my brews.

A lot of British cask ales have 2 or 3g per litre. American IPAs tend to be 15-20g per litre, and even more sometimes. But a lot of the hops will be late boil and dry hops.

Ok, going to up it a little and try 40g in each of the late editions and see how that goes. Will be boiling soon.

Thats going to be one tasty pint Mike

Hope so. Will find out in a few weeks.

All done now and yeast pitched. Bang on 1.052. Was going to lose a lot to the hops so decided to drain them on a sieve. Ended out with 24l so got 1 liter more. Lot of trub in FV though but that will settle out

Back