No head

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonGoetsch

Reaction score
So I have a larger and ale in bottles and as I'm sure the rest of you did with I opened a bottle after a week
76d4608b972e79d21e250e9d6804a2ba.jpg

It was not in the fridge
But had no head
Will this come latter
Is the colour ok ?

Which or what exactly is that.. It looks a bit young at the moment.. one week it will unlikley be carbonated fully anyway and after it has carbed, going into the fridge or cooling does help the co2 to go tighter..

There has been a few threads in the past few days about heads and such, one thing I am particular on is bottles and glassware being cleaned with hot water only and no dishwasher or detergent.

Is this a kit, if so what was it and what did you add too it (such as sugars and or malt extract ect)

Hi
Yes it was a kit called blue mountain larger
I used a sterilizer for bottles that was in the kit
I added it the can and 1kg of malt hops auger mix was in the kit

How much priming sugar did you add to the bottles when bottling? Does it taste sweet ( like there's unfermented sugar ) ?

Most likely you haven't left it long enough in a warm place yet. It looks fine - it'll clear over time.

Is it carbonated at all?
If it is,then something is killing the head. As Covrich has said there are recent posts on that which may help.
If it's not carbed then it needs more time in the warm.

To echo Covrich it's too early to be released - cloudy due to not being refigerated and not much carbonation because it's only been bottled a week.

Give it 2-3 weeks it'll cure. Give it 6 and it'll be perfect.

I do tend to find that temperature has an affect on the speed my bottled beers take to fully carbonate. In the summer when my storeroom is 20+ degrees my beers can fully carb in a couple of weeks but in winter at 15/16 degrees I've known beers to take well over 4 weeks to carb up.

Give them a few more weeks at least to clear and improve carbonation, if you've still got flat beer it may be worth looking at your priming amounts or if there is any other factors such as detergent. Colour looks fine.

Thanks guys I'm in Sa and our house is 20-30 during the day I have them in the coolest part
Yes it's slightly carbonated but zero head
I know it's early but was wondering and yes it is a tad sweet
@joeyriles lol only on my beer

I do tend to find that temperature has an affect on the speed my bottled beers take to fully carbonate. In the summer when my storeroom is 20+ degrees my beers can fully carb in a couple of weeks but in winter at 15/16 degrees I've known beers to take well over 4 weeks to carb up..
I have had beers take a few weeks to fully carb at summer temperatures, and on the other hand some that are almost fully carbed after as little as three days like the one I bottled last Friday which I initially kept indoors and is now in the garage. I know this because I use PET bottles. No obvious reason for the disparity. All 'normal' SG beers have just under two weeks in the FV and I do the usual SG checks before I bottle so there is never any ongoing primary CO2 in the bottles just that from priming sugar. What I have noticed is that the more yeast there is in the bottle the quicker it gets to carb up, which is not unexpected, so some bottles in a batch carb up quicker than others (I don't batch prime).

Well I put two bottles in the fridge this morning opened them this evening
And was pleasantly surprised on the positive change
086a2a5202c4b7e537523dc01c947063.jpg

Next week will be better

What I noticed in your first picture was that the beer in the glass was totally headless, but there was a good half inch of froth on the beer left in the bottle. Just saying, that's all...

I keep mine in the warm for a few weeks to carb up and even after that the head gets better with long storage.

Hey,

I've had the exact same problem. I've primary for two weeks, and then bottled for two at around 18 degrees. The two weeks was over today and I put 4 bottles in the fridge for a few hours before sampling. Very flat with little or no head. More head left in bottle. Tasted good, just flat.

I used a kit, coopers Canadian blonde. Pet bottles with 2 carbonation drops. I was worried that the caps weren't on tight enough but I was drawing skin when tightening and they do not move.

I've put the rest of the bottles in the garage which will be well below 10 degrees. Hope this is ok.

This was my first ever brew and slightly disappointed. But eager to improve!

Hey,

I've had the exact same problem. I've primary for two weeks, and then bottled for two at around 18 degrees. The two weeks was over today and I put 4 bottles in the fridge for a few hours before sampling. Very flat with little or no head. More head left in bottle. Tasted good, just flat.

I used a kit, coopers Canadian blonde. Pet bottles with 2 carbonation drops. I was worried that the caps weren't on tight enough but I was drawing skin when tightening and they do not move.

I've put the rest of the bottles in the garage which will be well below 10 degrees. Hope this is ok.

Ditch the carb drops,use proper sugar,dissolved in hot water and allowed to cool prior to racking,you will get a far better finish.

Hey,

Don't be too disheartened.. it will improve yet.. the beer may take a little longer to carb up and for a head to form tight needs to be chilled a bit longer..

What did you add to the Canadian blonde? I didn't do a whole lot of kits but I thought this one by itself (I didn't add sugar but malt extract) was a bit bland and had a funny aftertaste..

Latest posts

Back