Bottling and Labels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naff123

Reaction score
So on my first brew in 3 years I am due to bottle tomorrow! (smells absolutely beautiful)

Do you bother designing your own individual Labels with alongside naming the batch?

For example I have a wine on the go and decided to name it White Vin Man

And Wondering where the best place to get wine labels from to print my logo onto and if you feel it completes a comprehensive brew???

I need to label mine but didn't want the mess of using labels that need a solvent to clean them off again. I wanted gummed labels that would soak off in water. I found some gummed paper for use in printers that is A4. But then I thought I could just use standard cheap paper and make my own glue. I use Dextrin powder, but you can make a glue based on milk, soured with vinegar, skimmed off and use the solids with baking powder to make an old style of glue that really sticks - and will soak off again.
Then you can print what you want and just paste them on. I only wanted a small label for mine.

I did a few times. But was brewing too many styles so it got too crazy. I just mark the cap with an abbreviation of the type. I only name one when I brew it a second time.
Grog tags make blanks that have reusable glue and it's a kind of plastic paper. I like them but not cheap.

I don't bother with labels - I have neither the time or inclination. I either keep bottles on a shelf in the shed or in a plastic stacking box and label the shelf/box.

As for naming brews, anything that hasn't come direct from a recipe gets a name inspired by my music collection. The only 2 that qualify so far are in my sig (a SMaSH where I just threw everything together, and a California Common / Steam beer which was adapted from 4 or 5 Anchor Steam clone recipes and some background reading on the style). I can't wait until I concoct my own hefeweizen recipe so I can call it "Hefewheat Champion of the World".

I occasionally label mine to give to friends. I design my own, print them on an inkjet printer, let them dry and then stick them to the bottles with milk. To do this just get a small brush ( I use a pastry brush) dip in milk and put a light coating on the back of the label. Put the label carefully on the bottle and you're done. No need to sour the milk and you won't get any off milk smells either. The beauty of this is that the labels just float off in water when the bottles are empty.

I occasionally label mine to give to friends. I design my own, print them on an inkjet printer, let them dry and then stick them to the bottles with milk. To do this just get a small brush ( I use a pastry brush) dip in milk and put a light coating on the back of the label. Put the label carefully on the bottle and you're done. No need to sour the milk and you won't get any off milk smells either. The beauty of this is that the labels just float off in water when the bottles are empty.

I occasionally label bottles I'm going to keep for a while and I too use milk. If you have a lazer printer the ink is waterproof so you just paint the back of the label with milk and it'll stick to the bottles no problem. One advantage of milk over self adhesive labels is that it dampens the label so as it dries they stretch tight & if you store the bottles somewhere a bit damp the labels don't wrinkle up like self adhesive ones do. A downside is that in a place like this they will go mouldy.

I use different coloured caps to distinguish styles and have a label template with a how to pour homebrew for bottles I give away.

Only ever put labels on the wine I've done, the ones you buy, they come off easy after use. I've heard people just use milk on normal paper for labels too.

Cheers
Jay

For 5 gallon beer batches I use 40 to a sheet mailing labels. Big enough to get plenty of info on, easy to knock up the right amount, and easy clean, they just slide off when damp. Not very decorative though.

I use easypeel labels form A4 labels....only downside is I use an inkjet printer so get a bit of smudging over winter in the shed and temperatures vary and condensation forms on the bottles. For the labels I download various images into powerpoint and add text on top of them....I also use different coloured caps. Its a bit of a faff but I enjoy it.

Resize of P1030790.jpg

P1030793.jpg

Resize of Rotation of P1030754.jpg

I have been using pound shop/ tesco own pritstick to put labels on,easy to remove and wash off.
I do only print via the inkjet printer so get some smudging from time to time.

I only bottle 12 bottles per 5g batch and keg the rest so for ease I don't bother with individual labels per beer. I do have a generic bottle label for my home brewery (Demon Valley Brewing) and use a printed cap label to identify each beer

DA

I only label bottles I intend to give away or take somewhere (too much faff otherwise).
I now use 130gsm gloss inkjet paper, inkjet printer and milk as the adhesive.
I coat the back of the label with the milk using a small paintbrush and put some on the bottles as well. Apply label and smooth gently using clean kitchen roll.

Here are some I did earlier in preparation for an upcoming bottle swap.

DSCF6254.jpg

I kept these simple.

+1 on using milk. I don't even bother with the brush: just stick a centimetre or two of milk in a bowl and dip the individual labels in, stick em on the bottle and dab dry with kitchen roll. Come off easily after a quick soak. Not had any issue with ink running or label slippage even after a while in the fridge

I use a very basic method. I label my homebrews with these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LabelPlanet%C2%AE-Self-Adhesive-Circular-Stickers-Printable/dp/B004KNEJBO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

These fit perfectly on top of a crown cap and have enough space for the beer name and ABV (eyesight permitting). The label then gets thrown away with the cap so no hours washing away labels and peeling glue off glass. I do occasionally label some "special batches" on gloss adhesive paper labels printed at home - look great PITA to remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only label bottles I intend to give away or take somewhere (too much faff otherwise).
I now use 130gsm gloss inkjet paper, inkjet printer and milk as the adhesive.
I coat the back of the label with the milk using a small paintbrush and put some on the bottles as well. Apply label and smooth gently using clean kitchen roll.

Here are some I did earlier in preparation for an upcoming bottle swap.

DSCF6254.jpg

I kept these simple.

I like those:thumb:

Latest posts

Back