Oak aging. Anyone tried it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As noone has replied to your post I'm guessing not. However what people seem to do instead of aging there beer in oak barrels, is add oak chips to the FV to mimic this. If your a kit brewer the kit that I'm aware of that has oak chips included is the Youngs oaked rum

https://www.brew2bottle.co.uk/youngs-premium-ale-kit-american-oaked-rum-ale-ora.html

A little bit of discussion on this kit http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49381

If your a AG or extract brewer (I guess if your a kit brewer you could buy the chips seperately and put them in whatever kit you like) you can buy the oak chips http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Oak-Chips.html

I've used oak chips in the past. I added them to a mason jar of booze (I've done whisky with heavy toasted and Gewurtztraminer with lightly), let them infuse for a good while, then added the resultant liquid to the FV. You can also add them a la dry hopping, but you'd want to sanitize them first.

I've done it with a Theakstones clone many moons ago. I probably did it wrong with the innocence of youth (I was about 22 and these forums had not been invented). I added about 250g of oak chips into the King Keg. (Method was to boil for 5 mins and tip the water and chips into the keg) I'm now 43 but my memory is that it made a superb brew even better, smoothed it out an gave a very subtle barrelly, vanillaish flavour to the ale. Please don't quote me on the weight, I think I used half a pack and they were 500g packs but I have had a few sleeps and ales since then.

Hope that helps

A

I've done it with a Theakstones clone many moons ago. I probably did it wrong with the innocence of youth (I was about 22 and these forums had not been invented). I added about 250g of oak chips into the King Keg. (Method was to boil for 5 mins and tip the water and chips into the keg) I'm now 43 but my memory is that it made a superb brew even better, smoothed it out an gave a very subtle barrelly, vanillaish flavour to the ale. Please don't quote me on the weight, I think I used half a pack and they were 500g packs but I have had a few sleeps and ales since then.

Hope that helps

A

Id be interested in your Theakstones Clone Andy, i love the stuff

It was the standard from the old Graham Wheeler book. The method is probably a bit old fashioned now with a 2 hour boil and 13% brewing sugar but it was my first ever brew and one of my most reliable.

2.9 KG Pale Malt
200g Crystal
320g Flaked Maize

Mash at 65 for 90 mins

510g brewing sugar
13g Target
33g Fuggles

15 g Goldings

Irish moss/protafloc

2 hour boil and the goldings in for the last 15 mins

I usually stick the brewing sugar in the fermenter and drop some of the hot wort onto it dissolve it then drop on the rest of the wort.

Sorry for the thread Hi jack but I hope that is of interest Stevie

A

I wouldn't have had you down as a Theakstons man Stevie. Thought you'd be more of a super-bitter American IPA man.

I am that as well i like all ales from ultra hoppy to something like Theakstones i do love my IPAs though UK or USA also simple smash`s

The sad thing now though when i go out i find it very hard to drink anything i like #spoiltitformyself

I've never tried it, but skimming the Brewdog recipe book shows lots of their recipes recommending oak chips. Lots of them suggest soaking the oak chips in whisky / rum / whatever before adding to the FV. Quantities from 15g up.

I think using 10L or 20L oak barrels , I think this size will be good

It depends how long you want to keep the beer in them for. The smaller the volume, the more surface area exposed to the wort. As oak barrels are permeable, you're more likely to oxygenate smaller volumes.

I have read of people using 20l barrels successfully.

hmmm, Yes I think too that 20L will be good, How many beer will be fly away from the barrels during aging???

I used 500g of oak chunks (£6) from The Malt Miller (I pre-soaked them in about 100-150ml of Jim Beam for 2 weeks) in my first RIS at 11%. After fermentation, I sat the beer on them (and the Jim Beam) for 12 months in a king keg and then bottled this last August. It definitely gives an oakey smell and flavour but the heat from the Jim Beam and whisky taste is also present. It is just starting to get really good now so has taken a while to mature, but I think experimentation is what drives and motivates homebrewers, so I say, go for it. Lighter, less alcoholic beers would need less chunks...

I'd love a couple of 5 or 10 gallon oak barrels but don't know a) where I'd safely keep 'em without distrubing them and b) justify the expense for 1 beer a year...

I used 500g of oak chunks (£6) from The Malt Miller (I pre-soaked them in about 100-150ml of Jim Beam for 2 weeks) in my first RIS at 11%. After fermentation, I sat the beer on them (and the Jim Beam) for 12 months in a king keg and then bottled this last August. It definitely gives an oakey smell and flavour but the heat from the Jim Beam and whisky taste is also present. It is just starting to get really good now so has taken a while to mature, but I think experimentation is what drives and motivates homebrewers, so I say, go for it. Lighter, less alcoholic beers would need less chunks...

I'd love a couple of 5 or 10 gallon oak barrels but don't know a) where I'd safely keep 'em without distrubing them and b) justify the expense for 1 beer a year...

where are you live in House or flat?

Latest posts

Back