Dry hopping for 14 days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just bottles a beer which has been dry hopped for 14 days and it tasted lovely. There is a lot of talk about how dry hopping for to long can lead to grassy off flavours on beer. This certainly isn't my experience.

I've previously dry hopped for 9 or 10 days but due to life getting in the way I didn't manage to bottle this beer until it had been dry hopped for 14 days. By this time I was getting worried but I tasted a couple of samples carefully and couldn't detect any grassy flavours.

I also played around with my hopping schedule. This beer received bittering hops and then nothing till flame out when it got a 45g mixture of Cascade, East Kent Golding and Nugget, steeped for 20 min at 75oC and then a further 80g of Cascade for dry hopping.

It has a really nice flavour and aroma. I might play around with it more.

I've never actually dry hopped but have also read that you can get grassy flavours if you dry hop for too long. I leave my flavour/aroma hop debris in the FV for the 10-14 days of fermentation and wondered wether I might get this read about grassy flavour but I never have

I'm brewing as I type this and using pellets for the first time. Do people just leave them in to settle with the yeast trub? Don't fancy my chances of sieving them owt.!

I'm brewing as I type this and using pellets for the first time. Do people just leave them in to settle with the yeast trub? Don't fancy my chances of sieving them owt.!

I seive my bittering hop debris out with a normal kitchen seive as I chuck my wort into my no chill cube. I then do a 'micro boil' a couple of days later, when the worts cool, for the flavour/aroma hops. Depending on beer style I'm making, I leave the hop debris for that in the FV for the 10-14 days of fermentation

I used a mixture of whole leaf and pellet hops in this brew. Most of the hops in the boil were whole leaf apart from 20g of Cascade. These were filtered out of my boiler by the hop strainer. The remaining 80g of cascade pellets were used for dry hopping. I just chucked them in and gave it a gentle stir. They had about 7 days at 20oC, then I cold crashed to 3oC for 3 days, then I let the temperature come back up to 12oC for 4 days.

I wasn't sure if letting the temperature rise again would mean the hops went back in to suspension but when I bottled it they had formed a thick green sludge with the yeast at the bottom. It may be trickier if you can't cold crash.

I think the long time in the FV helped everything bed down so this looks like it will be one of my clearest beers yet. I'm normally hopeless at sucking up yeast sludge when bottling but I don't really mind a bit of haze/yeast.

I used try to separate the hob debris but it was too much effort. Never had any negative impact on taste.

I made a hop spider as an easier solution and it works a treat.

I suspect the grassy thing comes from a bygone age where British hops were used for dry hopping, and some of the earthier types are likely to impart that sort of flavour. These days we all use super fruity hops for dry hopping, and my suspicion is that you just won't get grass flavours from them, regardless of how long they're in the fv.

That said some uk hops are good for dry hopping (say EKG)

Someone recently posted a link to a scientific paper on the effects of dry hopping, and the general conclusions it reached, if I remember correctly, was that leaving the hops in longer than about 7 days added very little and that dry hopping in the warm worked faster than dry hopping at lower temperatures.
Anyone confirm that I| have rememebered correctly and provide the link again?

Someone recently posted a link to a scientific paper on the effects of dry hopping, and the general conclusions it reached, if I remember correctly, was that leaving the hops in longer than about 7 days added very little and that dry hopping in the warm worked faster than dry hopping at lower temperatures.
Anyone confirm that I| have rememebered correctly and provide the link again?

I'm too lazy to look it up, but it sounds like it was a brulosophy beerxperiment or whatever they call them

Latest posts

Back