What should I buy for first BIAB??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did my two stove top.brews without a bag, draining against the lid and through a sieve.

Grain swells quite a bit so my original idea of pouring all the grain into the sieve was quickly abandoned.

Probably OK for a small batch but a bit of a fanny-on if you pardon my language.

When I replied, I had forgotten you were only going to be doing a small batch - you could probably pick up a cheap mesh bag of the right size in somewhere like Dunelm Mill or Home Bargains, you'll need something a bit finer than a laundry bag (you know the type women put their bras in to stop the underwire sticking in the drum).

So would I need to get a 10ltr bag if I'm using a 10ltr pot? Can you link me to the kind of thing you mean so I know what to look for? I assumed one of those laundry bags would have been suitable see.

I would avoid paint strainers.. I will admit I ended up spending £15-20 on a bag (cannot remember extract amount) but after using cheaper bags and paint strainers I found the bigger bag was not only stronger but kept a lot of the **** in and a allows the wort to come out very clear..

So would I need to get a 10ltr bag if I'm using a 10ltr pot? Can you link me to the kind of thing you mean so I know what to look for? I assumed one of those laundry bags would have been suitable see.

It doesn't necessarily have to completely line your pot, but the grain needs room to move about so sugars can be properly extracted.

A laundry bag would probably "do", but one of my 2 bags (which is the only one that fits my boiler properly) is a bit finer than one and I feel like more trub gets through than I would like (crushed grain can be quite powdery/floury in places) so I feel I lose more beer than I want. It just means you should leave a bit more in the bottom of the pot when you transfer to your FV.

It doesn't necessarily have to completely line your pot, but the grain needs room to move about so sugars can be properly extracted.

A laundry bag would probably "do", but one of my 2 bags (which is the only one that fits my boiler properly) is a bit finer than one and I feel like more trub gets through than I would like (crushed grain can be quite powdery/floury in places) so I feel I lose more beer than I want. It just means you should leave a bit more in the bottom of the pot when you transfer to your FV.

Like I put above I bought an expensive bag and even with squeezing it the wort comes out clear.. I think less **** escapes from it.

Not that the OP needs to worry about that, just get a bag and get going, you can scrutinise part A B or C later

I think as others have said, you are over thinking this.

Watch the video on the simple AG thread, if you think "yeah I am ready for that", go for it.

If not wait a bit. I did 7 kits and lots of reading before trying my first (and learned loads of what to do and not to do in the process). As a hobby it is meant to be something you do to relax.

Don't rush it if you are not "ready".

I'm not overthinking it, I just wanted to know what bag to use. If a muslin bag will work I will use one of those

Thanks for the help folks, I ordered ingredients last night, I will pick up a stock pot and muslin bag tonight and hopefully get brewing on Saturday!

Best of luck with it.

I hope you are going to be surprised how easy it is.

Best of luck with it.

I hope you are going to be surprised how easy it is.

I was on my first time, and even with 3 major mistakes I've still got a very nice (although perhaps a little bitter) beer out of it!

Round 2 (hopefully with no mistakes) on Saturday!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131634265475?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=431002569134&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the bag I have

Latest posts

Back