Conditioning temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickster

Reaction score
With summer (yeh, I know!) approaching and temperatures creeping up, is it still ok to condition beer in a shed? We don't have beer fridges etc, so ferment and bottle indoors, leave inside for 2 weeks to carb, then stick in the unheated shed until ready. Will a warm place rather than cool affect the outcome?
Cheers!

My beer goes into my unheated garage for storage/conditioning all the year round and with it seasonal temperature variations but tbh I don't think it makes much difference, apart from the serving temperature which I may have to adjust before I open a bottle.

I have under-stair storage available with the bottles or keg on the outward facing wall. Through the year temp varies between 14 and 18 Celsius and doesn't seem to make a difference. I suppose if you can put your crates or kegs on a concrete or brick surface that will help in keeping temperature down.

Only place I can think of would be outside the shed where it's in permanent shade?

Can it be too cold?

Is a normal fridge (4 Deg C?) too cold to allow it to condition?

I just condition at room temp (whatever that might be at the time of year, unless I'm doing a bit of lagering/cold conditioning) doesn't seem to make much difference. The only thing I would warn against is to keep your beer out of direct sunlight as you'll spoil your beer

Thanks all, will look around for a cheap fridge to store some at least in there.

Mine live in the 'fridge' at 23C for a week or two to carbonate and any off flavours disappear. Then go in the shed/beer fridge (10C)/cupboard. Long term stability is never an issue ;)

Glad I found this post, I was just mulling over this quandary. No room for an extra fridge in the shed, it's my office, so I think I'll condition in the shade outside somewhere.

I was also wondering about this. So if possible would putting the bottles in the fridge at around 4C for the final two weeks of conditioning be best? Will it help clear the beer out?

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Mine have gone in the airing cupboard at around 18-20 degrees for 2 weeks, then I'll whack em out in the garage where its around 10

I have a mettle shed so will be as hot as a camels arm pit in the summer
Hope my beer will be ok

Latest posts

Back