In need of a lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alside101

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello my fellow brewers im looking for a lager to please all its for visiting friends and family. Either extract or from a kit. Something like budwiser or fosters (spare me the lecture and abuse lol)

Thanks Al

The coopers lagers generally get a good write up on here.
Although i think you have to swap out the yeast and ferment at a cooler temperature if you want to make them a "true" lager.

I've done the Coopers Australian (ale yeast) and Coopers European (lager yeast) and think I prefer the Australian. Dry hop with some Hallertau and you'll have a nice summer lager.

The best Clone for Fosters would be drink 23L of water then urinate it int your FV and age

Don't bother adding yeast as there is a chance it might add some flavour

You could dry drop it (don't ask me to explain that) 7 days before bottling.

:mrgreen:

The best Clone for Fosters would be drink 23L of water then urinate it int your FV and age

Don't bother adding yeast as there is a chance it might add some flavour

You could dry drop it (don't ask me to explain that) 7 days before bottling.

:mrgreen:

Haha thats almost as good as 1kg iron filings and dirty dish water as a recipe for john smiths. Im not really a lager fan altho i do like brewdogs this is lager but as far as the 24 cans for a 10er tackle is concerned its not for me

Al

Haha thats almost as good as 1kg iron filings and dirty dish water as a recipe for john smiths. Im not really a lager fan altho i do like brewdogs this is lager but as far as the 24 cans for a 10er tackle is concerned its not for me

Al

Tbf I think a good lager is a really nice drink.. I made an AG lager now and it is really nice.. much better than the chemical **** like fosters and much more flavour.. I don't know how the kits compare sorry.. the only kit lager I ever tried was John Bull and I wasn't impressed tbh. I think Coopers are well thought of here.. remember if it is the european lager it will be lager yeast so you will need to ferment around 12ºc

Wouldn't mind having a bash at a Super Bock clone one day, but that's a lager with some flavour to it

I may try the australian with the dryhop and see how it goes. Did you lager it or not bother with it been a ale yeast?

I didn't lager it and was surprised how good it was.

I usually do the Coopers European, brewed in mid-winter at low temps (12C). However, a couple of summers ago it was a hot one and I drank it all, so had to do an emergency lager brew in mid-summer, hence doing the Australian which comes with an ale yeast. The purists won't like it but it was a decent brew,

Latest posts

Back