Cider making advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I don't usually post in this forum as I'm a beer brewer generally. I'm in the process of making a couple of batches of cider and wanted to check a few things.

I started one batch last night. I juiced about 10kg of apples from my garden. They are a mixture of cookers and eaters. The cooker is similar to a brambly in all but name. Then there are two eaters, a very sweet juicy but not very strongly flavoured one and an amazing russet skinned one which is tangy and tart and quite tannic. If I were to guess I think it ended up being about 40% cookers, 35% sweet eaters and 25% sharp eaters.

I filled a demijohn and chucked in a campden tablet and 3/4 tsp of pectolase. Then this evening I rehydrated some Wilko wine yeast and pitched that along with 1tsp of yeast nutrient. I've stuck that in my fermentation fridge at 18°C. Does that sound OK? How long should I let it ferment for? When I made some a couple of years ago I bottled after 2 weeks and it had a sulphurous smell that never left it. I put that down to bottling too early and stressed yeast as I didn't add any nutrients and had no temperature control.

The second batch I have planned I want to ferment with whatever wild yeast is living on them, hopefully to get a bit of a funky character. If it's good, I might save some yeast for pitching into a small test batch of sour beer.

I've never tried spontaneous fermentation before. Should I add the campden tablet to knock out some of the other bugs, hopefully leaving just yeast? I guess it will still benefit from the yeast nutrient and pectolase? Is my fermentation temperature OK?

Is there anything else I need to consider for making cider without using a commercial yeast. Does the mix of apples sound OK?

Thanks!

Your blend of apples sounds good.
The addition of pectolase is required as some apples give up pectin in their juice. I would use it at the manufacturers suggested rate. Nutrient is required.
The wilco wine yeast has a suggested minimum temp of 20C. Wilco have started doing a cider yeast, the advantage being it running at a lower temperature.
2 weeks start to bottle is fast and could explain your issues. I have some in demijohns that bubble along slowly for a month, rack, then sit for a month before being bottled as still cider.
As for wild yeast, sure you can go ahead and see what you get. Take sg readings so you know progress being made. It may be very slow, 3 months+ but you can get results. I wouldn't add Camden tablets as you may knock out yeasts, don't know how Sulphur tolerant / sensitive your wild yeast may be, could end up wiping out useful yeast strain.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back