Vimto fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marksy

Reaction score
Hi all
has success with Ribena wine previously and not trying Vimto for a friend who loves the stuff.
I have boiled the vimto to get rid of the preservatives.
Using 2 litres of Vimto boiled and topped up with water in a DJ.
1kg sugar added to the cooling pan of liquid.
Added the yeast and yeast nutrient but nothing is happening.

Help, thoughts and advice please ...........

Boiling only helps so2 escape in liquids with sodium metabisulphite and simliar, other preservatives become more concentrated. Was it juice or the fizzy kind used as I have seen a few people make a vimto wow from the juice concentrate on this site.

I made a Ribena wine once, boiled it for 15 minutes and it failed at .1010 I don't believe boiling gets rid of the preservatives.

From memory (haven't brewed any wine fully as yet!) don't some "cordials" contain less preservatives than others (I thought the whole point of a cordial was to preserve...). So in theory if Vimto doesnt work you could try and blend your own vimto mix from cordials that contain less preservatives?

"It contains the juice of grapes, raspberries and blackcurrants (in a 3% concentration), flavoured with herbs and spices."

This is the ingredient list for Vimto squash...

Water, Sugar, Mixed Fruit Juices From Concentrate 10% (Grape, Blackcurrant, Raspberry), Acid (Citric Acid), Vimto Flavouring (Including Natural Extracts of Fruits, Herbs, Barley Malt and Spices), Colouring Food (Concentrates of Carrot, Hibiscus), Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Preservatives (Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate), Vitamin C, Sweeteners (Sucralose, Acesulfame K).

Back