Advice Needed: Blackberry Wine & Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffa91

New Cider Brewer
Reaction score
Hi folks,

In need of some advice for Blackberry Wine & Apple / Blackberry Cider.

Blackberry Wine:

I followed instructions from this method (Brewbitz) After 1 week of heavy airlock activity I strained the blackberries out using a muslin bag and siphoned into another fermentation bin fitted with airlock. (The method states that after this is done fermentation takes up to 4 weeks to complete) However after 2-3 days the bubbles have completely stopped. I took a ready today and they are as follows.

SG: 1070 and FG: 0900 (reading was taken today 11th)

Friday 1st I started the batch and the 2nd I added the yeast to start fermentation, i strained the berries and siphoned into new fermentation bin on the 8th and activity in airlock has stopped completely

My question is, what do i do now ? the guide says it should be up to 4 weeks to complete after straining the blackberries.

The guide also states that once fermentation is complete to add a campden tablet and refit airlock and leave again, before racking several times before bottling ?

How do i make the wine a bit sweeter and when would i do this ?

Here is a link to the guide:

https://www.brewbitz.com/content/9-blackberry-wine-recipe

Blackberry & Apple Cider

Cider has been fermenting for 6 days, activity has stopped completely.

I strained the blackberries and siphoned into a new fermentation bin, then took a reading.

SG: 1042 and FG: 1000 taken today 11th

So again, what would be the best route to go now, pectolase was already added when adding yeast and nutrient.

Do i siphoned it into the barrel adding some priming sugar ? I would like to ideally sweeten the cider as it's a little dry, which is to be expected using my garden fruits.

Thanks in advance.

hello mate

By the look of the SG's they're both finished primary...

If I was you, I would rack the wine onto the required amount of crushed campdens (1 per gallon), add wine stopper (potassium sorbate) and leave to clear - using Kwik Clear/finings as you might usually use (?). Sweetening-wise I've never tried back sweetening wine - only stopping fermentation before it's been down to 0.990 - Once fermentation is definitely stopped (at least 24 hrs after adding Pot Sorb), you could backsweeten with grape juice I suppose, or use artificial sweetener (wine sweetener from hb shops) or stevia etc... I'm not an expert on backsweetening wine - but others may chip in hopefully :)

Cider wise, yeh I would siphon off and batch prime (I bottle rather than keg), but depending on how fizzy you like it, about 5-6g per 500ml should be OK - fizzy cider does need a good chill to calm down for pouring, so it may be that you need to settle for a slightly less fizzy cider if your kegging - hopefully somebody in the know will add a bit on that point too. Sweetening would have to be via the artificial route too, juice/sugar won't be an option as that will just be converted to alcohol.

Hope that helps a little !

hello mate

By the look of the SG's they're both finished primary...

If I was you, I would rack the wine onto the required amount of crushed campdens (1 per gallon), add wine stopper (potassium sorbate) and leave to clear - using Kwik Clear/finings as you might usually use (?). Sweetening-wise I've never tried back sweetening wine - only stopping fermentation before it's been down to 0.990 - Once fermentation is definitely stopped (at least 24 hrs after adding Pot Sorb), you could backsweeten with grape juice I suppose, or use artificial sweetener (wine sweetener from hb shops) or stevia etc... I'm not an expert on backsweetening wine - but others may chip in hopefully :)

Cider wise, yeh I would siphon off and batch prime (I bottle rather than keg), but depending on how fizzy you like it, about 5-6g per 500ml should be OK - fizzy cider does need a good chill to calm down for pouring, so it may be that you need to settle for a slightly less fizzy cider if your kegging - hopefully somebody in the know will add a bit on that point too. Sweetening would have to be via the artificial route too, juice/sugar won't be an option as that will just be converted to alcohol.

Hope that helps a little !

Thanks Roddy

I've never made wine before so it's a new one, I've had a little taster and my god I think the Alcohol overpowers the taste.

As for wine finings following the recipe I have added pectolase but unsure if that will work the same, Ill rack the wine into campden tablet and how long after racking into the tablet would you recommend bottling?

Cider will be kegged as I'm out of bottles but that will be left a good few weeks in a cool / cold place.

Appreciate your help Roddy

I always add pectolase to my WOW's AND use finings as well - whilst pectolase does deal with the pectin haze, it doesn't mean that the end result is crystal clear (it might if you left it for months and months I suppose).

For me, I rack onto a campden tablet, add wine stopper (pot sorb), and degass over a couple of days to let the co2 escape, then use finings after that. Worth it I reckon for a quick crystal clear wine.

I racked one last night, and added the above apart from finings (I use Kiwk clear), which I'll do at the weekend. I'll expect to bottle it on Monday probably :)

Latest posts

Back