PET Bottle screw cap - reuse?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinotinto

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi.

Have just used some 500ml pet bottles for cider. Noticed that when unscrewed the base collar is left on the bottle similar to the Novatwist ones. Can these tops then be safely reused with these pressure bottles like I do the Novatwist despite the collar being seperated permanently?

Cheers.

IMG_3793.jpg

Hi.

Have just used some 500ml pet bottles for cider. Noticed that when unscrewed the base collar is left on the bottle similar to the Novatwist ones. Can these tops then be safely reused with these pressure bottles like I do the Novatwist despite the collar being seperated permanently?

Cheers.
Use them on a regular basis with beer and sometimes highly carbed,I believe they are rated for 30psi

I re-use PET bottles ex fizzy water several times and they are OK. I dump them after a while when they get a bit bashed up or difficult to thoroughly clean However I have noticed with repeated re-use the screw caps get a bit tight though.

Have re-used the coopers ones many times, just remember to get rid of the collar, have found that it sometimes interferes with tightening the lid down.

You mean you REUSE them? :thumb:
My missus is always buying soda water from the supermarket so I have a constant supply of them,sometimes I use them once sometimes twice depending on the availability from her but I never ever use them more than twice before I bin them as I believe they do slowly degrade

I always take the collar off before using new caps, easier to remove then than cut off later. Wouldn't want to leave them on because they're dirt traps and asking for trouble. The bottles and caps can be reused over and over.

Pressure's not an issue, the collars make no difference in that respect. They're just there to provide evidence of tamper proofing.

SWMBO likes the 7-up free that come in 600ml bottles. I like these for my kit lagers as I prime them with 1tsp of sugar and get great carbonation. I've been using some of these for over a year now and I love them, they're tall so they're easy to store, they wash up great never had one blow on me and I've got a couple different glasses that will take the 600ml of beer. I'm starting to like the same level of carbonation on my ales now, got a Coopers Dark Ale in them now and it really dances on the tongue. Now to actually get to the point, if the collar on a bottle is a problem it gets snipped off, if not it lives to fight another day.

Back