Subtitue Amarillo for Motueka and/or Wakatu

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krispn

Regular.
Reaction score
I've got some NZ hops in the freezer and was wondering if these would be a suitable substitue for the Amarillo? I defo have Motueka and Wakatu I think off the top of my head. I'm gonna make the Totally tropical Pale Ale from the James Moorton book (as posted on the recipe discussion section of this fine forum) next week after this run of night shift ends. Not sure if folk have paired Motueka and Citra but I'd be interested to hear if you think its a good combo and in what sort of ratios. The TTA recipre calls for a heap of Amarillo as a dry hop. I'd rather use up one or both of my NZ hops first before buying another 100g bag if I can - I tend to do small batches so while I'm likely to use most of a 100g bag of Citra in this one (then maybe do a SMaSH with the rest) I'd really like to make use of these others NZ hops first. Starting to accumulate hops in the freezer!

Thanks for any info!

I'd say that Motueka would be a better substitute for Amarillo, in terms of getting a more tropical punch. I have paired Motueka and citra together before, but there was a variety of other hops in there as well (mosaic, galaxy and perhaps cascade), so I can't offer any specific advice on the ratios. It was a tasty beer though!

If the Amarillo was solely for dry hopping, I would swap in Motueka for the same quantity as Amarillo and you'll end up with a very decent, tropical beer. You can always have a taste and a whiff of the beer after a few days of the dry hop, and if it's not as strong as you want, chuck in some citra as well to boost it. But citra does have a tendency to overpower everything, so don't be too generous!

Thanks
I know Citra works well in a SMaSH and I’ve had some good examples. I’ll have Citra a left over so that’s a good option. Gonna make it this week and rather looking forward to it. I

I had a check and the other NZ hop I have is Rakau which should be grand in this recipe too. Cheers for the input!

Back