Wild Atlantic Way

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve097

Reaction score
I recently started homebrewing again after about 35 years. I'm retired, so I have a lot more time now. I bought some new gear(bottles, minikgs and a King keg) and I've wrecked one brew already:doh: so I will be asking a lot of questions. I am doing the handy kits only for the moment.
Regards to everyone. Steve

I'm amazed and delighted at the proliferation of hardware and drinkware available now. I'm avoiding much of the old drudgery with bottles by using the kegs and BIB for the wine. I'm stashing 5 bottles of each batch for scientific research:mrgreen:
Homebrew West(Galway) red ale in the mini kegs and king keg. Realised too late that it is only 3.7% . I prefer a bigger thump. Loads of foam on pull but little subsequent fizz.
Evil Dog IPA in bottles. Should be right for my son at xmas. Tastes great so i have started its brother, Bad Cat Red.

Cellar 7 sauv bl completed in 7 days and acceptable straight off. So I did it again:grin: It improved hugely in only one week.
Beaverdale Merlot. Three weeks to do. Herself says it might convert her to red having been a "white only" up to now. I don't know a lot about wine and don't necessarily want to, I just like it or don't. I like beer and so far it's presenting a far greater challenge.

Are you based on the west coast of Ireland? I spent 9 months living on the Wild Atlantic Way in Mayo.

Hi Steve and welcome. The walled City brewery in Derry do one day brewing courses. I did one last April and that is what got me hooked. Really informative and could be worth looking at. Also lots of great advice on here.

Lawrence

Are you based on the west coast of Ireland? I spent 9 months living on the Wild Atlantic Way in Mayo.

I live in Belmullet though originally from Dublin. I'm guessing you worked on the gas pipeline?

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum...
You're right on the edge in Belmullet,been to Castlebar,Ballina and quite a few other places around our fine country.Holidayedin Clonard Co Meath last year and Asknagapp this year outside Arklow.Enjoy your brewing and plenty of helpful folk on the forum so any questions just shout.

I live in Belmullet though originally from Dublin. I'm guessing you worked on the gas pipeline?

I think the county would be on fire if I was asked to work on the gasline. My wife and I took some time out to live there. She has a family home near Mulranny where we stayed for 9 months, going back over new years with the inlaws. It's a nice area of the world round there, very quiet and friendly.

It was a great place to homebrew as well. The water was great for all styles, and because it's so cold most the year, I could very easily temperature control my fermentations; just needed heat as opposed to building a brew fridge.

I visited Belmullet in 2000 for the Gas Terminal project to recce the site and local facilities, and was then subsequently involved before it all ground to a halt due to the An Bord Pleanala intervention. Hopefully by now you have actually got gas coming on shore. :thumb:

Back