Piching question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ni9e

Regular.
Reaction score
I never rehydrate yeast I just sprinkle over the top and stir in which lead me to thinking would it be ok to add yeast whilst filling the FV or even adding to the FV first then adding wort?
I ask as when the FV is filled theres a load of foam on the top and its a pain stirring in the yeast through the foam and I'm to lazy to make a starter :grin:

All you need to do is give it 10-15 minutes in tepid water to rehydrate

Probably best not to take my advice :whistle: but i never rehydrate and i pitch right on top of the foam and i've never had any problems.... so far :pray:

Do you think it'll do any harm to add it half way through filling FV?

I'm pretty sure thats what Vossy does

Tis true..I use a cfc and once the wort coming out of the cold end has stabilised, as has the wort in the fv, I add the yeast. I do rehydrate it first though, even when I'm not supposed to :oops:

A T said:
Probably best not to take my advice :whistle: but i never rehydrate and i pitch right on top of the foam and i've never had any problems.... so far :pray:

When i use dried i just sprinkle it on top of the foam. I've not had any problems either... so far. :cool:

i just sprinkle the yeast on top, no rehydration.

i used to be a good boy and make starters, but then dropped to just rehydrating... but now i've noticed with s04, if i rehydrate, or make a starter, the lag time is actually longer!

not sure about 05 though

I sprinkled the yeast in the FV when there was enough wort to give it a stir then gave it a good stir at half full when it was full popped the lid on and am now eagerly awaiting signs of life :pray:

Latest posts

Back