Ritchies On the Rocks, Mixed Berry Cider Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried a bottle of this on Friday night - mainly to test the carbonation levels after bottling 2 weeks ago. It was perfectly carbonated, the smell of the cider was fantastic, but unfortunately that smell wasn't present in the flavour. It was quite bland and lacking in flavour. Hopefully it'll improve with more time, but I was expecting a better flavour profile after bulk ageing for quite a while.

Started this a couple of days ago.Wanted to make it a bit stronger so added an extra 100g of sugar (brewing), but didn't account for the extra 200g of sugar added by replacing 2l of water with Apple juice (I'm new to brewing!).
I'll let you know how it turns out...

I tried this one and must have added too much sugar, came out somewhere between paint stripper and a cheap, not very nice rose wine.

Left to condition for two months, still rubbish so poured away.

Would not go near it again.

I have to agree, this is not very nice at all. The nose is great, but the flavour is so watery/thin and just generally bad. I don't dare offer this to any guests and have only reluctantly drunk it a few times myself afterwards. This will be going down the drain when I get time.

Did you brew it to the full 23L? I brewed mine short at 20L and although its only been bottled for 2 weeks, its tasting pretty good, even better if you add a dash of lowicz blackcurrant syrup to your glass before you pour it.

the starting fg should be around 1.040/45

the final gravity should be around 1.000

just put mine on last night not sure what to expect after these reviews

only brewing it to keep my mrs quite as ive got a canadian blonde lined up next

Some limited edition, I bought one of these in December 2014 (am yet to make it up) lol

Have had one of these in the bucket for two weeks now so ready to bottle this weekend. Gravity sitting at 1.000, didn't take an initial reading.

Anyone any idea how much priming sugar I should be adding? First go at cider but reckon it should be well carbed, maybe 4g per 500ml bottle?

Have had one of these in the bucket for two weeks now so ready to bottle this weekend. Gravity sitting at 1.000, didn't take an initial reading.

Anyone any idea how much priming sugar I should be adding? First go at cider but reckon it should be well carbed, maybe 4g per 500ml bottle?

I brewed this and used 225g for 23 litres which is 9.7g per 1000ml and carbonation was good, but we like it fizzy and the next batch I brewed I upped to 250g and it's great

Latest posts

Back