over pitching

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
There's plenty of discussion and debate on yeast cell count,under pitching and the dreaded stuck brew at 1020...sometimes blamed on kit yeast being old,poorly stored or generally not enough to do the job.
Decent yeast can be bought cheaply enough so it seems...Wilko and Crossmyloof who offer a wider choice. As a belt and braces approach would adding two packs of yeast be classed as over pitching and would it affect the brew? Also would adding say a Wilko gervin to a std kit ale yeast be a problem?

Cheers

Clint

.......... Also would adding say a Wilko gervin to a std kit ale yeast be a problem?

Did exactly that to a Coopers Stout Kit last Sunday and it over-flowed on Monday evening! :doh:

The bubbles over-flowed from the bottle so last week I invested in a tiny bottle of "Anti-Foam" ...

http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/still-spirits-distilling-conditioner-defoaming-agent-50ml

Not cheap, but I'm hoping that it will stop the foam coming out of the bottle during fermentation.

Here's hoping! :thumb:

Results from the Dutch hobby brew forum and Brülosophy seem to indicate that overpitching only becomes a problem when you use at least an order of magnitude more than the recommended pitch rate, i.e. at least 10 times more than recommended.

So, adding two packs is not really overpitching yet.

Latest posts

Back