Cascade, chinook & citra hops which beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quick one guys n girls,
I'm not going to do an experimental 3 x 5l pale ale with three dry hops...
Instead I fancy a beer with the 3 hops.
Which beer suited and how much hops in a 10l batch..
I've done the pale ale ones before btw..
Any suggestions and the hops amounts be appreciated..
Bri

Quick one guys n girls,
I'm not going to do an experimental 3 x 5l pale ale with three dry hops...
Instead I fancy a beer with the 3 hops.
Which beer suited and how much hops in a 10l batch..
I've done the pale ale ones before btw..
Any suggestions and the hops amounts be appreciated..
Bri
What about a black IPA!
i am drinking one at present made with two of your listed hops,ie Chinook and Cascade,plus i slung in Amarillo so your three should go well in one

dry hop Pale ale, try 30-50g per 23ltr , Falconers Flight its an excellent mix , i use it pale and golden ales

I dont know what style it would fit under but I would bitter it with the chinook, then add citra and cascade at the end, maybe dry hop with what you have remaining. go with 10g for your bittering addition then 10g each for the citra and cascade at the end.

Hmmmmmmmm!
Great choice so far...
Black IPA mmmm!

IPA
10g chinook @ 60 mins
10g cascade/citra @ 5mins
10g cascade/citra @ flame out...
Maybe dry hops 25g of the three hops...

Leon your prob right for a IPA..or do a experimental 3 x 5l DJ's again....not with loose hops like I done with the pale ale...
Thx all
Bri

Hmmmmmmmm!
Great choice so far...
Black IPA mmmm!

IPA
10g chinook @ 60 mins
10g cascade/citra @ 5mins
10g cascade/citra @ flame out...
Maybe dry hops 25g of the three hops...

Leon your prob right for a IPA..or do a experimental 3 x 5l DJ's again....not with loose hops like I done with the pale ale...
Thx all
Bri
Have done two black IPA's and both came out really well. My second one came out a fair bit under what could be called IPA abv:doh:, however i put it into a newly aquired pressure barrel and it's possibly the best beer i have done:thumb:.

Have done two black IPA's and both came out really well. My second one came out a fair bit under what could be called IPA abv:doh:, however i put it into a newly aquired pressure barrel and it's possibly the best beer i have done:thumb:.

Tbh u like the look at a black IPA...
Malty taste Malt...high abv and still the hoppiness! Me likes..
Look at the morra :-)
Thx
Bri

Morning all,
Time I got on my pc.. brewsmith is better than the mobile tbh..
Like Leon n you said tinker on the recipe builder.
The grains shouldn't be a prob..(saying that it is Brian!!) but the hops.
IBU's and all that...tbh I usually don't like a powerful hoppy brew...and I haven't put the boat out, getting ova 42-45 IBU's for some brews.
Dry hops as you know I done with the experimental PA...and it's was 25g in a 5l DJ.
Reet! Going to look at the general make up of the Black IPA and report back...any geustions would be appreciated...
Properly done it last nite...but that 7.3% McEwans champion got the better of me....sitting through the Voice with our lass was torture lol
TBC
Bri

with JFB's and a bit of Greg Hughes book, thank you.
Scaled down to 10l batch.
Beersmith didnt have the M-44 yeast, so ill try Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale...never tried this one.
wanted the IBU's around 42...but might tinker with the hops specially dry hops.

Black IPA type o thingy
2.61kg Maris otter
100g Choc malt
70g Roasted Barley

8.7g citra @ 60 mins
8.7g cascade @ 60 mins
Irish Moss tspn @ 15 mins
4.35g cascade cube 80c
4.35g citra cube 80c
13.4g cascade dry hops day 5
13.4g cascade dry hops day 5
20g? chinook dry hops day 5

Mash 60 mins @ 65c
mash out 75c @ 10 mins

60 min boil.

Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale @ 18c

IBU's 42.1
est OG 1.063 est FG 1.016
est ABV 6.1%

seems a 'Safe' recipe...but apart from minor adjustments.

like i said going to take time to look at the recipe again...the grains i have already, so a bit saving. :-)

what you think so far?
love the no chill BTW.
thank you very much for all your remarks and suggestions, really appreciated.

Wouldn't exclusively 60min, 80c and dry hops leave you with a fairly low hop flavour? I know JFB used first wort hops which add flavour but can't remember what the Greg Hughes recipe looks like.

Wouldn't exclusively 60min, 80c and dry hops leave you with a fairly low hop flavour? I know JFB used first wort hops which add flavour but can't remember what the Greg Hughes recipe looks like.

Thx mick,
I was wanting a low hop flavour anyways...time for black IPA 2# to experiment.
Better to under do the hops..as I don't like too much..all expreciance..mind it is BRIAN HAHA!
Thx pal I'm learning slowly :-)
Bri

Latest posts

Back