DIY Cooler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazziep

Reaction score
A little bit ambitious here of me, but has anyone ever built there own cooler ?

A mean like properly not just sticking a coil of copper wire into a cooler box full of ice not that there is anything wrong with this method but since building a kegerator and messing about by-passing the thermostat and adding a temp controller to the compressor and studying videos about how fridges work etc, I've suddenly decided I'm some kind of refrigeration expert and wondered just how hard would it be to build my own beer cooler.

I could get an old fridge or freezer, take out the compressor get some kind of water tank add new cooling lines around water tank, put in the coil of copper pipe that my beer goes through, attach a pump to the water tank for re circling the cold water around (as they do for the towers :) ) attach smaller condensing lines and a condensing fan.

sounds really easy when you say it fast. Apart from the obvious danger that I have no idea what I'm doing and can very easily kill myself can anyone see why I should forget this idea straight away or has anyone successfully done it??

(oh also forgot to add I would need to learn how to re gas it too, but I think you can buy a cheap air con gas kit to regas your car yourself.. I guess it's the same thing isn't it??)

I guess I should stick to the ice box and copper coil or buy a cooler and stay alive eh :)

Haha yeah i also lost myself in this stuff, regassing and keeping the system leak tight is a problem. Its just not worth the expenses to buy gas tanks and then fill just one or two circuits. Would be cool though.

It is not wise/safe to mess about with the refrigerant circuit in a fridge/freezer. You don't know what your doing, if the substance is harmful to you and venting the gas to the atmosphere is just wrong (not yet illegal for the smaller quantities in fridges). :nono:

Ahh sod that then :) i think I've managed to pickup a 2 beer line cooler for 100 quid .. I'll go for that one and stay safe ;)

Back