Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just coming to the end of a other load of WOW Rose done a reading it is between 992/996 but it is still bubbling in the air lock about every 6 seconds in both demijohns I have tasted it it seems fairly dry to me is it OK to rack

I am just coming to the end of a other load of WOW Rose done a reading it is between 992/996 but it is still bubbling in the air lock about every 6 seconds in both demijohns I have tasted it it seems fairly dry to me is it OK to rack

If it's dry enough for your taste you're good to rack off and stabilise etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just mixed together my first batch of wow, the forum favourite grape and apple. OG was 1.100, is this fairly standard? When it comes time to rack and top up do people just use water? I seem to recall some people saying they use juice.

It's that long since I used a hydrometer I cannot remember but it does sound right.

I used to top up with apple juice after stabilising but found occasionally they would start fermenting again I now add an extra half litre of apple juice at the start and top up with water after racking and stabilising.

To give the finished wine a bit more flavour we now use 1.5 litres of apple juice to 1 litre of Red Grape Juice and reduce the sugar by 50g to keep the ABV% the same as in the original.

Rosé wine (amended recipe)

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (for mouth feel - optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Part 1 -

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpkXCowv2Ys[/ame]

A couple of minor mistakes in the Video -

Pectolase is used to reduce the risk of pectin haze.

Glycerine is added to improve mouth feel. (many member no longer use this as we found it doesn't actually make that much difference)

Leave more headspace in the Demijohn than in the video or it will come through the airlock (as it does in the video) and don't top up until until you have racked (syphoned) to the second DJ and degassed your wine, you need a bit of space when shaking the DJ to get rid of the CO2 and especially if using a drill attachment to degas it.

When racking to the second DJ he says it doesn't matter if a little sediment gets through as you will probably be re-racking again, there is no need to rack to a third DJ as your wine will be crystal clear after you have added finings (KwiK Clear or Youngs Clear It) to the second DJ.

Part 2 -

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQQdkS0JAw[/ame]

I haven't done a wine day post in a while so here are today's ingredients, this will make 4 DJ's of Rosé wine.

wine.jpg

Lol i was in sainsburys on friday picking up some RGJ (6 litres) i was contemplating maybe another 2 when a not so young lady claimed what was left on the shelf (8), at the time i was tempted to ask her if she was making a wurzel or two.

I haven't done a wine day post in a while so here are today's ingredients, this will make 4 DJ's of Rosé wine.

wine.jpg

Lol i was in sainsburys on friday picking up some RGJ (6 litres) i was contemplating maybe another 2 when a not so young lady claimed what was left on the shelf (8), at the time i was tempted to ask her if she was making a wurzel or two.

Begs the question why not just whack into a single FV ?

** that was meant to be in response to Chippy but can't delete using Taptalk ! **

Begs the question why not just whack into a single FV ?

I prefer to use DJ's as i find racking, degassing and clearing 5 gallons of juice wine a pain (i use my FV for my Winebuddy kits as you do them from start to finish in the same FV) i also hate bottling 30 bottles at a time, i like having several DJ's on the go at the same time as it makes life a lot easier i normally put them on in pairs but we are running a bit low on stock so i put 4 on today.

I prefer to use DJ's as i find racking, degassing and clearing 5 gallons of juice wine a pain (i use my FV for my Winebuddy kits as you do them from start to finish in the same FV) i also hate bottling 30 bottles at a time, i like having several DJ's on the go at the same time as it makes life a lot easier i normally put them on in pairs but we are running a bit low on stock so i put 4 on today.

That makes sense. Method in your madness.
Must admit - bottling a DJ wins bottling 15-25 litres any day.

I'm a bag in box convert now.. I make up 23l in a fv (bucket) - yield about 20l - 1 x 5l in bag inbox, 3 x 5l in water bottles. Decant to new sterilized bag in box from water bottle when required.

I rack the 23l from bucket into a pet carboy - degass with a wand on my power drill. when it's cleared it goes into 5l pet water bottles/bag in box.

I like the bag in box idea but I only have a small fridge I don't mind bottling 12 bottles which doesn't take long with the little bottler.

How do you de-gas your rose wine @Chippy_tea ? Was wondering as never done it before and like the look of the rose WOW :thumb:

Many thanks to Chippy and co for all the words of wisdom throughout this thread - it's given me the confidence to have a crack at supermarket juice wines, having only ever done kits before.

I kicked off two brews on Wednesday - one was RGJ+Apple and for the other I pushed the boat out and followed Wino2012's recipe for a Marlborough-type Sauvignon Blanc. (WGJ from Waitrose - a lot of money but the other half loves the NZ SB wines...)

When I came to add the passion fruit juice to the Sauv today I noticed a strong sulphur/eggy smell. A cider kit I did a few months months had a whiff that disappeared in time, but it wasn't as strong as this one.

I've had a scan of the forum and lack of yeast nutrient comes up as a suspect, but I did add a tsp at the beginning.

Not sure if it's relevant but the eggy one went off like a steam train - it's at 993 already and it's only 6 days in. The RGJ+apple is trundling along nicely but still over 1000.

Both brews were identical (except juices) ie sterilised the same, same yeast, nutrients, pectolase etc, stored at same temperature.

Any views on what the problem could be and ways to rectify - or should I prepare to introduce it to Armitage Shanks?

To give the finished wine a bit more flavour we now use 1.5 litres of apple juice to 1 litre of Red Grape Juice and reduce the sugar by 50g to keep the ABV% the same as in the original.

After reading this, a couple of months ago Wrongway and I started following this method of adding a bit more juice and less sugar, as descried above.

To simplify things even further, we found cartons of Don Simon Spanish Peach & Grape Juice, which cost £1.25 each in Morrison's, and used 2.5L plus 738.5g of sugar, ie 800-61.5, which is the extra sugar in the additional half-litre.
Starting SG was 1080.

It seemed to take a bit longer fermenting out (about 3 weeks) and had a good inch or two of yeast/stuff on the top. :) We have just siphoned it off today with an SG of 1000 and added Stabiliser - we don't like it too dry. It's fairly clear already and initial taste is quite promising! I think it has earned a place as one of our two-gallon batches next.

ddddddd.jpg

I've been having a good mess about with Asda's range of juices with mixed results (for the love of God stay away from Pink Grapefruit :)) and I highly recommend the Raspberry, Apple and Cranberry to anyone who fancies a wow which actually tastes like the juice it was made from after fermentation (Tropical Fruits is like this as well if you like a white). Same process as the rest:-

3l Raspberry, Apple and Cranberry
500g sugar
3 tea bags
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp Youngs Yeast
Starting SG 1.094
Ferments in about 7 days down to 0.998 (I don't like my WOWs too dry either) so about 12.6%
Add stabiliser and finings (Kwik Clear)
Cleared in 2 days - decent summer drink in under 10 days

5051413679999_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

ive got one of the drill wands.. i find it doesnt really get all the gas out. nowadays i tend to use it but then man handle the 23l pet carboy to try get gass out before adding finings.. and again in 5l pet water bottles. mine tend to always have a bit of sediment in the water bottles so i syphon from there into the bag-in-boxes leaving sediment behind.. even then there is a small amount in the bag when its empty. Nobody has died or got a poorly tummy yet so i figure it's all fine.

Back