Black IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fandang

Reaction score
I've bought a recipe kit for a Black IPA from the malt miller but found that the choc malt and carafa special have been mixed in a bag of pale malt. There's more than I need for my recipe and obviously can't separate it out but how much difference will make it to use slightly more of the choc malt and carafa and readjust the pale malt in the grain bill? Will it just be more 'stouty'?

Hmm not sure you will want to get the balance too wrong.. how much are we talking here??

what you could do is try and thoroughly mix it in so its like a really good blend and then take out what you don't need??

Thanks. It's about 50g extra of the carafa and 40g of the choc malt. About a third more of each

Oh, well if you are going fro exact then I think you're going to have difficulty.. by mixing it all up evenly I think you could proportionally reduce the grain bill... taking out exact amounts to suit a recipe... If you;re going down that route it woudl be best advised you buy your grains seperately and not a pre made pack. although I am not sure whats wrong with the original recipe??

you could proportionaly add more pale malt maybe?? if its too strong split it into two smaller batches??

It's not an extract brew, it's all grain. The choc malt and carafa are mixed in a bag alongwith 500g pale malt.

I think if you had a specific recipe unique to you ,you should have ordered the ingredients separately as ordering a "kit" will get you a specific recipe. I think it says on the mm website that all kits come bagged. Just make it...the "black " elements in a bipa are there to just make it black not to impart roast flavours. ...

I think if you had a specific recipe unique to you ,you should have ordered the ingredients separately as ordering a "kit" will get you a specific recipe. I think it says on the mm website that all kits come bagged. Just make it...the "black " elements in a bipa are there to just make it black not to impart roast flavours. ...
It was cheaper and apart from the mixed grains the recipe matches what I need

It's not an extract brew, it's all grain. The choc malt and carafa are mixed in a bag alongwith 500g pale malt.
If you know the % having 500g of pale malt on the original recipe put what you have into brewer's friend and adjust the pale malt to the correct percentage provided you have some pale malt.

Gerry

Latest posts

Back