Out for a drive and....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back into the beer and depending on what pressure you set, some will vent off. If you have enough pressure at the correct temperature you can carb as you ferment.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Back into the beer and depending on what pressure you set, some will vent off. If you have enough pressure at the correct temperature you can carb as you ferment.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Another change to the noble art of Brewing made in the names of "Speed" and "Profit".

I can see a day when Home Brewing will become a religion where true followers use the rituals of the ancients to produce what will become known as "The Nectar of the Gods!"

Followers will gather in secret locations that will become known as "Pubs" where they will be served pints of nectar from huge wooden barrels by priests known as "Barmen" ...

... and true believers will know the rosy glow of happiness that such gatherings bring.

When this happens, anyone who deviates from the normal brewing process will be deemed a "Heretic!" ...

... and burned at the stake! :thumb: :thumb:

Which is all they will deserve! :whistle:

What a ridiculous post. The noble art of brewing that has always changed to embrace science, agriculture and technology to improve yield, quality, efficiency and profit.

Advantages of fermenting under pressure.

1 - The ability to ferment beer at warmer temps*without increasing off flavors.

2 - Overall reduction in yeast ester and fusel production.

3 - Less vigorous fermentation with reduced krausen, meaning less headspace is necessary.

4 - Due to the closed*fermentation, aroma compounds remain*in the beer and aren’t*blown off.

5 - CO2 generated from fermentation can be used to naturally carbonate the finished beer.

What a ridiculous post. The noble art of brewing that has always changed to embrace science, agriculture and technology to improve yield, quality, efficiency and profit.

Advantages of fermenting under pressure.

The ability to ferment beer at warmer temps without increasing off flavors.
Overall reduction in yeast ester and fusel production.
Less vigorous fermentation with reduced krausen, meaning less headspace is necessary.
Due to the closed fermentation, aroma compounds remain in the beer and aren’t blown off.
CO2 generated from fermentation can be used to naturally carbonate the finished beer.

The Post was done very tongue in cheek with regard to the "Religion" bit but the rest is deadly serious.

So taking your "advantages" one at a time ...

1. The ability to ferment beer at warmer temps without increasing off flavours. Why would you want to ferment beer at warmer temperatures? Speed!

2. Overall reduction in yeast ester and fusel production. Which are ameliorated by conditioning. Speed!

3. Less vigorous fermentation with reduced krausen, meaning less headspace is necessary. Smaller FV. Profit!

4. Due to the closed fermentation, aroma compounds remain in the beer and aren’t blown off. Using less hops. Profit!

5. CO2 generated from fermentation can be used to naturally carbonate the finished beer. Speed AND Profit!

... so which one of them actually IMPROVES the beer over and above a beer that can be brewed by normal practices? :doh:

My response was solely to the opening statement about the noble art and "speed and profit". Two things that have shaped brewing throughout history.

Please outline normal practice, and how it is not related to profit and speed. Speed and Profit have always driven or influenced brewing practice, for example.

Modern modified grains - Shorter mash times and greater yield. Speed and Profit.

Sparging - Profit.

Wort Chillers - Speed

Top Cropping - Speed

Cask conditioning - Allows beer to be sent out of the brewery unconditioned, allowing speed of turnover in the brewery and therefore increased profit.

How do they cold crash volumes of this size?

How many commercial brewers will crash cool? Unless it's cask conditioned it will probably be filtered. A brewers yeast will do it's job quickly and efficiently and all the ones I've use drop bright in days. The build and shape of their fermenters will also have an effect. I'm sure some commercial brewers do crash cool but I have always thought it's more of a home brewers practice.

Fermenters with inbuilt jackets that can have Glycol pumped through from a chiller.

Back