Temp control of bottles - best way?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxburd

Reaction score
So I'm dead chuffed with my new set-up for keeping my bottles at the right temperature for secondary and I thought I'd share that and see what others do.

I bought an Inkbird ITC-308 temperature controller which worked brilliantly with a brew-belt on the bin but wasn't sure how to use it with the bottles. So I got a massive tub and put about four inches of water in the bottom and dropped my old immersion heater in it (one of those smll ones designed for homebrewing). Over that I put an up-turned plastic crate with perforated sides to allow the air to circulate. Then I put the bottles on the base of the crate - suspended above the water. The Inkbird temp probe went in the centre of the bottles. And over all that, a blanket. The temp in there is bang-on. I'm really looking forward to seeing the results - it's a Festival Golden Stag kit - at bottling it smelled *fantastic*.

The immersion heaters are only supposed to be used vertical but it seems to be working just fine horizontal for the purposes I'm using it for - I'm not relying on its internal thermostat but the Inkbird. Also, it can melt the plastic the tub is made of so I sit it on top of two metal rods just to keep it away from the plastic.

Does everyone do something similar or am I missing a trick?

I was surprised to find that the secondary produced so much heat in the first two days that I nearly had to remove the blanket. I had the same thing happen at the start of the initial fermentation.

Oh, also, no, I'm not connected with Inkbird in any way, in case anyone's wondering!! I am just really impressed with it as a product.

So I'm dead chuffed with my new set-up for keeping my bottles at the right temperature for secondary

Crikey I've never heard of anyone doing that with bottles. Mine get 2-3 weeks in the warm, usually in the corner of the lounge, then into a cool garage. I bring them inside if we get a heatwave as the garage gets too hot.

Mine go in the dining room for a couple of weeks, I always thought temp control wasn't that important for secondary as long as they're at a temp where the yeast is active.

Ah, maybe I'm being a bit over-enthusiastic!!

The kit instruction for barreling say to keep the barrel between 20 to 25 degrees so I figured that the same would be ideal for the bottles... well, I guess it can't hurt...

Ah, maybe I'm being a bit over-enthusiastic!!

The kit instruction for barreling say to keep the barrel between 20 to 25 degrees so I figured that the same would be ideal for the bottles... well, I guess it can't hurt...
Maybe a bit over but it's all for a good cause[emoji12]

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

In summer anywhere downstairs in our house is about the right temperature. Rest of the year I put them in the airing cupboard for a week with the door open different amounts depending on room temperature. I can keep it fairly steady around 20c in there except in summer.

Latest posts

Back