one disater after another

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
Despite all the brews I have done this one I have now has just been one test after another

1st of all the CML yeast stuck dead after 2 days (wasn't even that I think)

stirring it got it moving if only brief for a few hours

I repitched which didn't seem to do alot although adding a sugar solution did and it seemed to head towards 1016 where I left it..

Now I decide to consider bottling it to find what appears to be pelicile forming on top!!! :doh: Everything has collectively gone wrong on this brew.. I suppose I am due one after all these years..

I drew a tiny sample just below the film although it managed to get a few "bits" in.. it tasted a little sour and dry but not horrendous hard to tell as its probably just forming and well needs some conditioning I think its only been 2½ weeks anyway

What should I do? I fly on holiday next tuesday do I;

1) Leave it, let it ride out and while I am away then bottle it? (assuming it may drop out)

2) Try to rack under the pelicile and leave that

3) possibly just dump it and save the time.

As I am perhaps unlikely (although never say never) to do sours should I just ditch this FV? and anything that came into contact with the beer apart from hydrometer?

Bit annoyed with myself my lack of patience with teh stalling yeast had led to this but hey ho..

Any advice would be appreciated..

What was it supposed to be? It depends on what has contaminated it and what it is feeding on, as to whether it'll be a disaster or happy accident if you let it run.

As for the FV, a good bleach should kill most things.

Some reading matter.

Gutted for you Covrich.

1. Do you think you'll be coming home to anything nice? And then you have to deal with it and clean your gear
2. Ditto
3. Clean everything plan a brew on holiday and get it on as soon as you're home.

What was it supposed to be? It depends on what has contaminated it and what it is feeding on, as to whether it'll be a disaster or happy accident if you let it run.

As for the FV, a good bleach should kill most things.

Some reading matter.

Thanks

The beer was a simple pale ale really nothing too complicated Maris otter EKG ect..

Like I say it tastes different now than how it did at 1020 more sour although that was literally a few pulls from a syringe near the top which had "shards" in.. It certainly doesn't taste like poison at least yet..

It looks a little like the developing lactobacillus pellicle but a littl earlier than that picture even..

What criteria would anyone have for letting it ride and are we talking months here??

I am not opposed to keeping it and getting anotehr FV tbh.. only downside I have is my stock levels are hit by this so I need to crack on when I get home with some thing else

Had it been a maltier, higher gravity beer, you'd more likely get something interesting if you leave it.

As it's a pale, possibly throw some Saison yeast in which would ferment it out pretty dry in two weeks, and then bottle or ditch after a holiday depending on taste.

But, most probably rack some to a disposable container like a 5L spring water bottle just out of curiosity, then ditch the rest. Treat the FV to the mother of all cleans and crack on with something new.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Had it been a maltier, higher gravity beer, you'd more likely get something interesting if you leave it.

As it's a pale, possibly throw some Saison yeast in which would ferment it out pretty dry in two weeks, and then bottle or ditch after a holiday depending on taste.

But, most probably rack some to a disposable container like a 5L spring water bottle just out of curiosity, then ditch the rest. Treat the FV to the mother of all cleans and crack on with something new.

Sorry for the question I appreciate your insight

Well I dont have any saison to hand only Gervin and some cider yeast although I could certainly get some ordered in before i leave..

You think pitch that THEN see how it goes and not just ....see how it goes.. Assuming the saison will help consume it down to 1.05 ish..

The thinking is that if the original yeast has stalled, it might take whatever has infected a while to fully attenuate, so a Saison yeast would speed things along, especially at warm summer temperatures. If you want to get back on track after your holiday.

The thinking is that if the original yeast has stalled, it might take whatever has infected a while to fully attenuate, so a Saison yeast would speed things along, especially at warm summer temperatures. If you want to get back on track after your holiday.

Ok thanks.. I will do it..

From the looks of things I am at quite an early stage whether that makes a difference or not..

It will cost a few quid extra obviously which could be a waste but if it helps save it it may well just be worth it..

I had a couple of brews that just did not do it for whatever reason. I only ever chucked one, but with hindsight, I should have chucked one or two more.

No joy in the drinking, even after months of waiting. I know the saying "never give up on a brew", but some ideas are not worth hanging onto.

If it sounds like pessimism, I prefer realism. :-x

I had a couple of brews that just did not do it for whatever reason. I only ever chucked one, but with hindsight, I should have chucked one or two more.

No joy in the drinking, even after months of waiting. I know the saying "never give up on a brew", but some ideas are not worth hanging onto.

If it sounds like pessimism, I prefer realism. :-x

I know where you're coming from but I am trying to stay positive and see if I can convert this into something salvagable.

In the mean time I am looking at my next brew now and am going to plan it while this waits out.. Also going to knock together a TC to fizz away while I am on holiday

What have you done differently to any other brew that could have induced your infection?
Is it possible it maybe weather related?
If it is definitely and infection/wild yeast early stage and your brew has nearly attenuated could you possibly make a starter with the cider yeast and pitch with a sugar syrup to help ferment out what's left as the original yeast should have done it's work but the additional fermentation of the cider yeast may help overpower any starting effects.

What have you done differently to any other brew that could have induced your infection?
Is it possible it maybe weather related?
If it is definitely and infection/wild yeast early stage and your brew has nearly attenuated could you possibly make a starter with the cider yeast and pitch with a sugar syrup to help ferment out what's left as the original yeast should have done it's work but the additional fermentation of the cider yeast may help overpower any starting effects.

This brew was different yes in that it stuck, I haven't ever had a stuck brew before, so with repitching and adding sugar solution yes I have been popping in the fermentor a lot more.. Whereas I usually just leave it until its fermented out and package.

Weather probably didn't help to be honest because more susceptible to wild yeast but at 1018 or whatever it got too it was okay, its only the last few days the formation has started..

I have ordered a saison yeast and last night I put the fermenter with a 5L frozen bottle to cool it to help "slow" the process in the meantime..

I am hoping the saison yeast will chow down and finish off a large part of the remaining sugars before the wild yeast does while I am on holiday..

The beer will be totally different but it is worth a shot maybe??

This brew was different yes in that it stuck, I haven't ever had a stuck brew before, so with repitching and adding sugar solution yes I have been popping in the fermentor a lot more.. Whereas I usually just leave it until its fermented out and package.

Weather probably didn't help to be honest because more susceptible to wild yeast but at 1018 or whatever it got too it was okay, its only the last few days the formation has started..

I have ordered a saison yeast and last night I put the fermenter with a 5L frozen bottle to cool it to help "slow" the process in the meantime..

I am hoping the saison yeast will chow down and finish off a large part of the remaining sugars before the wild yeast does while I am on holiday..

The beer will be totally different but it is worth a shot maybe??
Well I hope it turns out ok and enjoy the holidays....

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Appreciated , thanks I dont set off til the 25th so plenty of time for this to develop but will likley leave it to do its thing along with the saison yeast

I will report back for those curious in several weeks how my old speckled hen saison infection goes

Could be Old Sour hen or Old Sick Hen..

It would have to be undrinkable to be honest to not try packaging and even aging some of this and drinking it

That said.. I am a tramp

Appreciated , thanks I dont set off til the 25th so plenty of time for this to develop but will likley leave it to do its thing along with the saison yeast

I will report back for those curious in several weeks how my old speckled hen saison infection goes

Could be Old Sour hen or Old Sick Hen..

It would have to be undrinkable to be honest to not try packaging and even aging some of this and drinking it

That said.. I am a tramp
Old sour hen,could be a new addition to there portfolio 😋

Gerry

So sterilised my old spoon (will be replacing it anyway as its starting to look a bit beyond its best) and tried to gently breakup the pellicle to pitch teh saison yeats, that was fun it was like glue on top, but thinned it out and dumped the saison yeast in.. now just got to hope it does its work!!

Saison yeast has certainly got this thing burping along slowly now producing some impressive sized Co2 Domes on the pellicle.

My theory or hope more than anything is that the Saison yeast will at least out perform the wild yeast down to wherever it takes it?

As it is I decided to treat myself to some flip tops as my dad has some and I kind of like them SO planned to get rid of my lesser good bottles.. what I will do is perhaps measure gravity when I get back early August, and either leave it in the FV for another few weeks and then perhaps bottle it in these disposable bottles and leave to age in the garage.

Saison yeast has certainly got this thing burping along slowly now producing some impressive sized Co2 Domes on the pellicle.

My theory or hope more than anything is that the Saison yeast will at least out perform the wild yeast down to wherever it takes it?

As it is I decided to treat myself to some flip tops as my dad has some and I kind of like them SO planned to get rid of my lesser good bottles.. what I will do is perhaps measure gravity when I get back early August, and either leave it in the FV for another few weeks and then perhaps bottle it in these disposable bottles and leave to age in the garage.
Good to see you've got activity after pitching the saison and should be sorted by the time you get back.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Just a quick update before I go.. Since pitching the saison yeast the pellicle has gone?

The saison yeast is gready and ate that too..:lol:

I have little doubt it will probably come back though.

See you all soon as it is I am full of a virus and not too well

Latest posts

Back