My first yeast starter!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanManley

Landlord.
Reaction score
First attempt at building a yeast starter for my brew tomorrow. #NorthernCardinal #NEIPA. Using the Siren Craft yeast I harvested from the recent #10DollarShake Clone. #RedbreastBrewery

a1a3687cc0db11911f3f3b3ddf6f1e9b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Didnt know siren craft beers are bottle conditioned. I'll have to add that to the bottle conditioned beer list. Any Idea what sort of yeast is in there?
They aren't as far as I know. I was lucky enough to be given some direct from the brewery.

I was cheeky and when emailing Kyle (headbrewer) about my $10 Shake clone recipe I asked if I could get some for authenticity. He gave me a jar ful.

Hence I am using it in my first venture into harvesting and starters. I harvested a batch of Nottingham before however used that the following day so first proper go at it.

They use their own strain of Vermont yeast. I'm going to brew a NE IPA tomorrow as thought it would be fitting.

So I'm not sure this is going according to plan... should I not have some sort of activity going on?

I appreciate it's not "airtight like with an airlock but this morning it just looks like this.

70fb7f507de14e2f9f4d96eb8470a4d5.jpg

I am no expert but looking at you original picture there doesn't seem much yeast in those jars. Doubt it will build up enough to use today

Yeah that's why I used two. It wasn't the most successful harvest. I may have to use a different yeast. [emoji17]

Hi Alan,
Bloody 'ell there no stopping you!
Great that your doing a starter.
What stir plate you using?
I've made two...one for spare lol.
Good on ya pal
Bri
Currently I don't have one. It's one thing I'm planning on making once the magnets arrive. I have everything else. Hopefully soon!

So I still have inactivity... I have two more jars like this one.

Do I pour off as much as I can from the jars. Pour some of the flask out and pitch this too and hope.for the best?

My logic is that if this doesn't work already I may as well chuck it all at it as otherwise the next one also won't have enough yeast either.

Thoughts?
3f56b6ebc0b837eda888a7c614dbf5f0.jpg

So I still have inactivity... I have two more jars like this one.

Do I pour off as much as I can from the jars. Pour some of the flask out and pitch this too and hope.for the best?

My logic is that if this doesn't work already I may as well chuck it all at it as otherwise the next one also won't have enough yeast either.

Thoughts?
3f56b6ebc0b837eda888a7c614dbf5f0.jpg

How did you harvest that? Looks the same amount of yeast you get in a bottle of homebrew. You would need a few different steps to get the correct amount of yeast for a 23l brew. I would follow @MyQul thread

How did you harvest that? Looks the same amount of yeast you get in a bottle of homebrew. You would need a few different steps to get the correct amount of yeast for a 23l brew. I would follow @MyQul thread
I think the correct answer here is poorly!

I harvested from. Nottingham brew previously and used it the next day (no starter) and was fine. Much more yeast than this though.

I think I rushed this one (annoyingly considering the source) and therefore had a poor reaping. I think I'll ditch it and try again another time.

Can't win them all!

Good for you, you don't ask if you don't get. IIRC you can wash yeast up to 7 times (mentioned by a guy from white labs due to mutation; mind who knows what his motives might be for limiting it to 7) I reckon you should re-malt it again and see if you can build up a viable pitch amount.

So is this now more yeast built? Or do I just chuck it? Left it a bit to see what would happen.
92648e52b773ffcbb08e6a41bc05da8b.jpg

That's now looking good, it's hard to tell from just pictures but if I was you I would step up again
Are you about to use it or store it for another brew?

That's now looking good, it's hard to tell from just pictures but if I was you I would step up again
Are you about to use it or store it for another brew?
Step up again? At this point I am just trying to get something feasible out of it.
Been swirling as much as I can.

So it's worth still going with?

Step up again? At this point I am just trying to get something feasible out of it.
Been swirling as much as I can.

So it's worth still going with?

Yes carry on, it looks to me you have salvaged the little amount you had and grew it on nicely
You should be able to wash it and divide up and keep ready to make a starter for pitching
I am no expert but I do like the satisfaction you get from getting a small sample of yeast and growing it to use in a beer
If it gets you interested I recommend the book Yeast by Chris White & Jamil Zainasheff

Yes carry on, it looks to me you have salvaged the little amount you had and grew it on nicely
You should be able to wash it and divide up and keep ready to make a starter for pitching
I am no expert but I do like the satisfaction you get from getting a small sample of yeast and growing it to use in a beer
If it gets you interested I recommend the book Yeast by Chris White & Jamil Zainasheff
Thanks I'll take a look.

So how long should I keep it going before finishing up?

Guessing I then re-wash as if it were a finished beer and re-jar?

Then when next brewing doing the same again 24hrs prior to use?

Thanks I'll take a look.

So how long should I keep it going before finishing up?

Guessing I then re-wash as if it were a finished beer and re-jar?

Then when next brewing doing the same again 24hrs prior to use?

Back