Rye (APA type)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
This has been bottled for 14 days and testers have been very good.Nice and sharp with a nice not overpowering hop hit.
Not a massive rye percentage by any means as this was a step up from a 5% added rye mix in a previous brew.
This one is 16.6% added rye.
6 litres, partial mash,1.048 OG, 1.010 FG,43.80 IBU, 10.92 SRM abv 5% approx
454 grams liquid extract H and B at start boil
50 grams light munich
15 grams Choc malt
85 grams Wheat malt
200 grams Pale malt
200 grams Lager malt
200 grams Malted Rye
6 grams Challenger pellets 60 min
1/4 protofloc tablet 15 mins
5 grams Citra "" 15 min
5 grams Citra and Amarillo f/ out
6 grams amarillo and 8 grams citra dry hop 5 days.
1/2 pack US -Pale CML
5 litre mash at 67c 60 mins
Dunk sparge 2.75 litres 10 mins at 72c
approx 600 ml water added to FV to reach 6 litres
Note,although i used up some lager and pale malt, pale alone would be fine and indeed lager if that was all that was available

This sounds great. I see you use Challenger as your buttering hop in a few recipes, do you find it quite neutral, is that why you choose it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds great. I see you use Challenger as your buttering hop in a few recipes, do you find it quite neutral, is that why you choose it?

Just have a liking for it,guess it is a little neutral, not expensive to use for bittering either.It seems to go well with pretty well most styles. Going to do an all challenger brew soon and will be looking for a little fruityness from the late additions.:thumb:

Just have a liking for it,guess it is a little neutral, not expensive to use for bittering either.It seems to go well with pretty well most styles. Going to do an all challenger brew soon and will be looking for a little fruityness from the late additions.:thumb:

Sounds good. Yeh it's my go to for English styles, I'm not all that keen on Fuggles and for some things EKG is a bit floral.

Just pushed this through b/f recipie builder as a 12 litre batch.Will do it and p/b 10 litres and rest to bottles.
Doubt if it will be exactly the same however but if it's near it i will be happy.
Just had a few with another homebrewer who has given it the thumbs up:)

Just pushed this through b/f recipie builder as a 12 litre batch.Will do it and p/b 10 litres and rest to bottles.
Doubt if it will be exactly the same however but if it's near it i will be happy.
Just had a few with another homebrewer who has given it the thumbs up:)
Mmmmmmm a definate re brew now. Dished it out last night to various bods during our fireworks night,only one left:doh:

Back