Fluffy bottom bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nastyphoeni

Reaction score
I bottled my brew following conditioning in a conical with isinglass for a couple of weeks in the fridge at 6 C. Added 4.5g sugar per liter and a little sprinkle of fresh yeast. Wyeast 1272 American ii.

Beer is tasty and nicely carbonated, but as soon as a crack it open the yeast on the bottom comes into the nice clear beer in the form of lumps :cry:

I know this isn't an issue, but I would rather it didn't happen.

1. How can I prevent this from happening in future?

2. For these bottles, is there anything I can do to get the yeast to stick to the bottom of the bottle? I wondered if a long chill/spell in the freezer might do it? If not, I would rather the beer was cloudy with evenly dispersed yeast. Is there a good way to do this? I doubt rocking the bottles would do it and I am reluctant to shake them!

If the yeast you used has a lowish flocculation it will take awhile to settle into a firm cake, can you cold crash your beer? if you can cold crash before bottling that would help to lessen the amount of yeast you will get in a bottle
One of my recipes is for an American style IPA, it uses Wyeast Denny's Favorite 50 1450 it's a low flocculation yeast and is a bugger to clear in a keg, but it's clears perfectly in bottles but it takes at least a couple of months, it's worth it though as it makes one hell of a beer

Back