AG No. 4. BBN Citra Saison Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a slight variation on this myself, tweaked it a tiny bit due to my volumes and i like to keep grain amounts in round numbers :)
Hit my 1.048 target, but overshot the FG with the 3711 yeast down to 1.003, ended up at 5.9%, also, sill me, was short on the dry hop, only 30g on hand at the time, 3 days then cold crash for a day.
its in the keg now and is a cracking pint tho! :thumb:

And I remember now it was Jafski that pointed this recipe out to me in the first place. Cheers!:cheers:

Citra Saison 0101.png

Brewed a slight variation on this myself, tweaked it a tiny bit due to my volumes and i like to keep grain amounts in round numbers :)
Hit my 1.048 target, but overshot the FG with the 3711 yeast down to 1.003, ended up at 5.9%, also, sill me, was short on the dry hop, only 30g on hand at the time, 3 days then cold crash for a day.
its in the keg now and is a cracking pint tho! :thumb:

And I remember now it was Jafski that pointed this recipe out to me in the first place. Cheers!:cheers:

Glad it's worked out! What do you think about the dry hopping? Was 30g enough?

I really like this beer and it's very much yeast dominated with a hint of Citra as I've made it. I want the yeasty flavour to be the main event, how does it fare in your version with the dry hopping?

It's not over pronounced Citra, defo know it's Citra but is still yeast forward with that Saison spicy funkyness. (Fermented at a steady 28°)
I am a big fan of Citra, so the extra dry hopping wouldn't go amiss. I obviously liked it a little too much as I finished the keg last night. [emoji23]

Brewed this 3 days ago. I cut back on the wheat and upped the pilsner malt, but the fermentables and hop schedule were as per the recipe otherwise. I added the citra aroma addition at 80 deg though.

I used MJ 41 belgian yeast, mainly because I had it in. I started it at 22 deg, and am raising each day by 1 or .5 deg each day, but it isn't a vigorous fermentation. I've read that MJ yeast can be slow and it has a good krausen, so hopefully all is well. Hoping for a sunny September so I can enjoy a few in the sunshine :D

So here's a sample at two and a half weeks. Carbonation is nice and lively, head is nice and thick. A nice aroma of citrus and classic Belgian saison esters. Taste isn't as hoppy as I was expecting but it's still pleasant. The coriander was a nice addition, too.

Hopefully the aroma and flavour will come through more in the next couple of weeks, but it's already a top beer. Will be brewing this again!

Sadly the efficiency wasn't as good as expected, so this is only 5%. It's still a rather nice brew. Very happy.

image.jpg

So here's a sample at two and a half weeks. Carbonation is nice and lively, head is nice and thick. A nice aroma of citrus and classic Belgian saison esters. Taste isn't as hoppy as I was expecting but it's still pleasant. The coriander was a nice addition, too.

Hopefully the aroma and flavour will come through more in the next couple of weeks, but it's already a top beer. Will be brewing this again!

Sadly the efficiency wasn't as good as expected, so this is only 5%. It's still a rather nice brew. Very happy.

Here's mine after about the same time in the bottle. It's getting better with time, but I'm now down to my last 8 bottles.

Will defo make again.

IMG_2685.jpg

Yep, this a very nice drink. The citra is there, but doesn't overwhelm the flavours from the yeast, the malts and the coriander. Complex but subtle. I suspect that I'll brew this again.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back