New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its more about running out of fossil fuel and the price other countries could charge us when we do that is driving this.

Anyone remember LPG , half the price of petrol and cleaner yet they didn't give all us petrol car owners any insensitive to get our cars converted being an old cynic i often wondered if that was due to the fact they would lose tax income if they pushed it.

Tbh i dont remember. Its all about money and supressing clean energy if you ask me Chippy.

My courier buddy had the best idea - run his fleet of flatbacks on old cooking oil scavenged from local fish n chip shops. But christ it stunk shocking. No idea what its emissions comprised of, don't care.

Tbh i dont remember. Its all about money and supressing clean energy if you ask me Chippy.

They still sell it round here -

images

They have 23 years to come up with a solution. But like I said I doubt many people would own their own car by then. Uber - biggest taxi company in the world but own no taxis. Airbnb biggest accommodation provider in the world but own no rooms

Not really, with the way electric cars are gaining popularity there's going to come a point when carmakers simply abandon IC cars. They'll get really expensive first as the benefits of mass production dwindle and running costs will escalate as fuel refineries start to close down from lack of demand.

Norway is on track to be all electric by 2025. And India plans the same by 2030.

Also, consider from governments point of view - oil is mostly imported but especially renewables isn't. Importing all your energy requirements is just bad economics.

I think we will start to see more and more solar roof projects where daily sunlight is stored in batteries. Elon Musk is way ahead of this curve and currently building roofing tiles that have the solar cells embedded in them. If we depended less and less on the grid, there would be more available power for other needs without having to rebuild the entire system.

Has anyone seen Elon Musk's hyperloop. Seems like another total BS invention that wont go anywhere.

I wouldn't bet against him. Elon Musk has a track record of making the outlandish actually work. Have you seen this?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPGUQySBikQ[/ame]

It looks like it's being played in reverse but it's not, it's for real. Pause for a second and consider just how mind bogglingly difficult that would be to achieve on land. Now do it on an undulating platform at sea. That's engineering and physics being stretched to the absolute limit of human knowledge. If anyone can build a big pipe and suck out all the air, he can.

I wouldn't bet against him. Elon Musk has a track record of making the outlandish actually work. Have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPGUQySBikQ

It looks like it's being played in reverse but it's not, it's for real. Pause for a second and consider just how mind bogglingly difficult that would be to achieve on land. Now do it on an undulating platform at sea. That's engineering and physics being stretched to the absolute limit of human knowledge. If anyone can build a big pipe and suck out all the air, he can.

Sorry but i dont buy that for a minute. If they did it i would like to see it for myself over land.

Sorry but i dont buy that for a minute. If they did it i would like to see it for myself over land.

No BS, the SpaceX Falcon 9 is in regular use for putting payloads into space. It is revolutionary and has already made a huge impact on the industry making satellite launches etc. significantly cheaper.

http://www.spacex.com/falcon9

If you can get enough bright and driven people together, like Elon Musk seems to be able to do, then anything is possible.

Trust me, developing ways of increasing the battery capacities of electric cars and decreasing the recharge times is small fry compared to some of this stuff. In twenty years time we'll be looking back and wondering what all the fuss was about ;)

Trust me, developing ways of increasing the battery capacities of electric cars and decreasing the recharge times is small fry compared to some of this stuff. In twenty years time we'll be looking back and wondering what all the fuss was about ;)
Let's hope so and not wondering 'that's another mighty fine mess they got us into'!

India...by 2030...that'll be funded by the UK with leftovers from the millions in aid they get to fund their nuclear weapons and space programmes. ...great that....talk about ivory towers. At least the slums will only smell of sewerage instead of exhaust fumes...

India...by 2030...that'll be funded by the UK with leftovers from the millions in aid they get to fund their nuclear weapons and space programmes. ...great that....talk about ivory towers. At least the slums will only smell of sewerage instead of exhaust fumes...

They been using a lot of the paper cars made in Britain and run on compressed air, one cylinder is used while diving it compresses the other tank. No electricity needed. Not of sale in uk though as not allowed on roads here.

Back