Coopers stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oshay

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to the forum and new to home brew
I finished my first lager last week and kegged it Geordie lager from wilkos and today il be bottling my cellar 7 30 bottle wine kit raspberry and cassis both seem to have gone well although I did wake up 3 days into brewing the wine to the missus screaming at me your wines exploded lol
The walls needed repainting anyway :)
So today I bought a tin of coopers stout fancying a change from lager
I was going to just use silver spoon with it to brew until I started reading the forum and saw there's lots of different things you can add to the recipe
Ideally I'd like it to be around the 5 abv Mark
Any advice on recipes and upping the alcohol content would be appreciated

Hi all I'm new to the forum and new to home brew
I finished my first lager last week and kegged it Geordie lager from wilkos and today il be bottling my cellar 7 30 bottle wine kit raspberry and cassis both seem to have gone well although I did wake up 3 days into brewing the wine to the missus screaming at me your wines exploded lol
The walls needed repainting anyway :)
So today I bought a tin of coopers stout fancying a change from lager
I was going to just use silver spoon with it to brew until I started reading the forum and saw there's lots of different things you can add to the recipe
Ideally I'd like it to be around the 5 abv Mark
Any advice on recipes and upping the alcohol content would be appreciated
Welcome to the forum.
You are wise to not use all ordinary sugar with your stout, it deserves better.
Plenty advice for recipes in the Coopers Stout kit review threads here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17817
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17818
My advice is to brew short to concentrate the flavours (say 19 litres), get a blow off tube ready because the Original sometimes try to escape the FV (another reason to brew short), and if you use black treacle go steady, it has a very pronounced flavour which may overwhelm your beer.

Some dark DME and half a tin of treacle turns this into as good a beer as you'll get out of a kit.

As all the others have said, it's a great kit. Brew it with DME/spraymalt and to 19/20L rather than 23L and you'll have a great stout.

Brewed my first one 6 years ago, have moved on from kits to extract and AG but still brew this kit. Just had a bottle this weekend.

Got one of these ready and waiting to brew. Will be adding a can of dark liquid malt extract (LME) and some treacle. Brewing to 20L.

I put one of these on last week. 1kg BE, 50g dark brown sugar, 1tbl spoon instant coffee, some sort of Barista one, 30g of grated coco stick steeped in hot water (would have been 3tbl spoons of coco powder if I had it). OG was 1052, I'm hoping the Mauribrew 514 will get it under 1010 by next Saturday.

Got my brew on tonight 1.2kg of silver spoon and an og of 1042 filled the bin to 22 litres il see how this goes and maybe tweak following kits
Chilling with my cellar 7 raspberry and cassis better than any shop bought wine I've tried..I'm hooked on homebrew now lol

Latest posts

Back