Muntons Hand Crafted Belgian Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An update on this one-

Ive transferred from the original FV into another and added the provided 500g of light spray malt. However I also included an additional 500g to make up for the mistake of the additional water added. A half cupful of the yeast cake was then added.

After 3 days its sitting at 1.014 (it was at 1.028 after the malt addition), so has a few points to drop before it gets below 1.006 as per the instructions. Activity in the airlock has slowed almost to a stop after the initial couple of days of bubbling following transfer.

Following tasting of my (albeit warm, un carbed) sample, like others mentioned above there’s definitely a sour, tart finish which follows the decent malty initial flavour. There is a definite hit of alcohol there as well and good mouthfeel. Its not unpleasant and is reminiscent of other belgian brews I have tried so assuming its the yeast flavour rather than an infection (I hope). Colour is heading towards a medium amber.

The instructions are rather vague as to when to keg. They say keg when it reaches or is below 1.006, with no timescale so will just have to keep sampling! Im fairly keen to get stuck into this one, but get the feeling it may need a bit of conditioning.

I have a Hammer of Thor SG lager kit coming so they may end up ready for drinking around the same time!! 😜

Back