Clarity-Ferm, Gluten Testing, and Gluten Sensitivity + Gluten free brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have been reading about clarity ferm for ages here's my brief summary:
Anyone who has tested beer made using it has found either no detectable gluten or levels that would allow it to be labelled gluten free (at least in the UK <20ppm). These tests are done using a high end brewing setups so home brewers may have more solid barley in there brew than the guys who tested this which may or may not increase the gluten levels. Everyone with a gluten or barley issue seems to have massively different tolerance levels, I am coeliac and can drink standard commercial beers except wheat beers without any symptoms but no idea whats its doing to me inside and I use clarity ferm on my home brew.
Also I have found 2 suppliers of gluten free barley malt extract/syrup which I hope to use when I start a very small gluten free brewery soon. Though this ingredient originates from barley it is already under 20ppm so the end product would be under 2ppm just my dilution and will be broken down further in the boil and fermentation.

Back