Pitch more yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

Made a black ipa on Sunday. Og1060. Pitched the ringwood 1187 liquid yeast and 48 hours later there is still little activity from the airlock - maybe a few glugs every 3 mins.

I have read that air lock activity doesn't necessarily correlate to fermentation but I'm getting nervous and considering pitching some more yeast.

I've read that this yeast can have quite a lag.

Any advice?

Firstly, as you say an airlock is not a good indicator that fermentation is occurring, if your lid isn't a tight fit co2 can get out that way. The only way really is with a hydrometer. Secondly what temperature is your fv sitting at? Third, can you see a krausen forming on the top, or bits and pieces moving around inside the fv? Don't go adding more yeast yet!

This is what I was thinking. Fv seal appears good. The temp is about 20c. No krausen.

I'm just reluctant to keep taking the lid off to check temps etc. I've read that 72 hours lag could be the norm for this yeast.

Thanks for the input.

If you've read that 72 hrs lag is the norm for this yeast (assuming this is true) I'd wait another 24 hours before getting worried. Did you make a starter so the yeast was active when you pitched it?

Indeed I would. Once fermentation starts it is at its most active during the first 2 - 3 days.

Didn't make a starter. Decided against it in my wisdom......

I don't know if I have fixed a leak or its just that the central heating has some on but it's bubbling like a beast now. Literally 10 mins and the difference is massive.

I'll monitor over the next few days. Panic over a bit now.

Thanks all for the advice - this forum is so good for this. Beers on on me!

If you don't make a starter with Wlp005 the lag time is immense! I'm sure it'll be ok though.

If your hygiene is spot on I wouldn't get too worried about infection. I take quite a few readings a make notes all through fermentation so I know more about how the different strains behave. It's worth checking, just make sure everything including your hands are really clean and don't breathe over the green beer, crack the lid just enough to take a sample with a sanitised turkey baster. I've never had an issue.

The airlock seems to be picking up. Will take a reading tomorrow and see whats happening. All good experience providing I don't have to put it down the drain. Sure it will be fine.

Well what a difference a few hours makes. Went back to it last night at midnight - quite a lot of krausen and airlock bubbling away.

This morning it's going like a beast!

The learning continues.

Latest posts

Back