Leon103's brew days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very odd. I did look at the MJ site and it does say that strain is bottom fermenting. I've never used a lager strain before, perhaps they throw up krausen too? Bit counter intuitive though

To be fair, though, the CO2 is going to come out through the top, just the same. Hence the krausen, pretty much irrespective of whereabouts in the beer it mainly gets produced. :doh:

Two weeks in the FV and it is down to 1.012. I can't find my notes but I believe SG was 1.054.

WIll leave it another week fermenting and then raise the temp before putting it in the kegs.

Lovely flavour and aroma, looking forward to this one during the summer.

Its been a few weeks since my last brew day but I have taken the day off and plan to make a vanilla brown porter. Just going to clean my boiler and get the mash on. I plan to complete the brew before the wife comes home and without her noticing lol. I said I was taking the day off to sort some of the garden out and chill a little. Fingers crossed I can multi task.

All done and dusted, a pretty straight forward brewday. Just sitting down with a cup of tea. Even managed to do four loads of washing and started the gardening.

About 5 hours from start of cleaning to end of cleaning.

I used the HBC Brown Porter kit that comes with -
Grain: Maris Otter, Brown malt, Chocolate malt, Crystal
Hops: Fuggles
Yeast - US05

The brew smelt lovely and I have high hopes for it. I will add two vanilla pods towards the end of fermentation.

I had a slight issue with the mash. I hit 74c pretty quickly but on adding my grain it was down below 60c so had to put the boiler back on and it took an age to get back up, I think I ended up at the 67c I wanted and after an hour it was at 66.1c. Again my hop filter came off but I don't mind empting the contents through a sieve.

Did a dunk sparge and ended up with plenty of wort. I have about 25 litres in my FV but did lose a few points for shooting over (even had to through some wort).

It should have been 1.044 but I had 1.041 the yeast will get it down to around 1.010 so it should be a nice 4% which is what I am after in this brew.

Below are some photos of the day.

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

Sounds nice. Saw a vanilla porter kit on brew UK website and thought I must give it a try.

As much as I love hoppy beers, the smell of brewing a dark beer is so much better.

Its been a few weeks since my last brew day but I have taken the day off and plan to make a vanilla brown porter. Just going to clean my boiler and get the mash on. I plan to complete the brew before the wife comes home and without her noticing lol. I said I was taking the day off to sort some of the garden out and chill a little. Fingers crossed I can multi task.
Where have I heard that old story before...
You're doomed!:lol:

Got away with it. The wife didn't notice, even though my brewing table was left outside. She only noticed when she saw some pictures on my phone.

Just had a little taste of the porter. It's currently down to 1.012 so pretty much done. A lovely aroma of dark chocolate. Tastes of chocolate and faint taste of vanilla. Mrsleon liked it s lot and agreed it needed another pod of vanilla so that's been added and I will taste again on tuesday

Very nice. I want to brew today but in the middle of making my brew chamber.
Had an old closet the GF wanted me to toss. Attaching a small freezer/fridge to it with lots of foam.

Very odd. I did look at the MJ site and it does say that strain is bottom fermenting. I've never used a lager strain before, perhaps they throw up krausen too? Bit counter intuitive though

Yeah you generally do get a bit of a top krausen with lager yeasts. It's nowhere near as massive as you get with a top fermenting yeast. And it subsides after the first 5 days.

When you get that awful sulphur smell with lager yeasts you know you've gotta do a decent warm diacetyl rest. Maybe 15oC for a good 3 days to get that yeast to clean up after itself.

Over two months after making my Pilsner I thought I would open a bottle of it tonight to celebrate national beer day. It's been lagering for over 4 weeks so wasn't expected it to be the finished article.

Unfortunately I will never know. On opening the lid the beer shot out of the top, everywhere. Every single drop, couldn't get the glass near it.

I would have thought the lagering process would have prevented this. On the plus side it's my only bottle, the rest is in easy kegs. But I won't get to taste it until I open a keg and I am keeping them for a bbq later in the summer.

Too much priming? If not then it's an infection. Some wild yeast got in it.

Hopefully its isolated to that bottle.

Only ever had a single gusher (might be two actually cannot remember) but it was isolated to that bottle, I assumed it was possibly down to a not cleaned bottle. Overpriming has just caused me to have enormous heads

I had one IPA I made that I over primed. They were gushers but when I cold crashed the bottles it got better. Crazy.

There was a lot of sediment in the bottle. Perhaps too much yeast got in? I filled two kegs and then the remains went in the bottle.

After nearly four months without a brew day I decided to put a brew on yesterday afternoon. Using some ingredients I had left over I more or less copied GH's Paterbier recipe. I was aiming for a half length brew (11.5l) and used 2kg of Belgian Pilsner malt and replaced Hallertauer for Herbrucker. I added a bit extra of both hop additions to use them up. The yeast was Safbrew S-33.

Four months without brewing meant I was a bit rusty, although during the brew I thought it was all going too well, even helping and pleasing the wife by doing a lot of gardening at the same time. Made some minor errors like not adding my bazooka to my boiler and being under on my measurements (forgot the markings on the boiler were wrong).

I got 8l in the FV so I topped it up to about 12l. The OG was 1.044 but after adding the water it was 1.040. Not too bad on efficiency. I was a little worried because when adding the spent grain to my veg beds I did find one dough ball.

Its come out lovely and pale, just hope I can get the priming right so it looks like the picture in the book. I am hoping for a light low abv brew that can bring a bit of late summer to the end of Sept (book says ready in 4 weeks).

I am glad I got this one out of the way because I plan a oatmeal stout in a few weeks and today was good for ironing out those teething problems of being away for so long.

Didn't take many pictures but here is what I did take, including a newt who I found whilst cleaning up. He is alive, despite sampling the trial jar.

IMG_2477.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG

Checked on this last night and it looked done so took a reading and I am surprised it's down to 1.010. Happy with that. Will leave it another week and check again.

Checked on this last night and it looked done so took a reading and I am surprised it's down to 1.010. Happy with that. Will leave it another week and check again.

:thumb:

Will be interesting to see what you think of it, I think someone did it here and thought it was a touch bland, but then they were drinking one after a triple hop explosion brew :lol:

Back