California Connisseur Malbec

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewie

Landlord.
Reaction score
This kit arrived today but i won't get it started until the weekend most likely.

In the box.

7.5l of Malbec grape juice (from concentrate)
1x 5g packet of Lalvin wine yeast
2x 15g packets of Oak toasted wood chips
1x 15g packet of Bentonite
1x 6.5g packet of Potassium Sorbate
1x 4g packet of Potassium Metabisulphite
1 large packet of Chitosan
1 small packet of Kieselsol

1 comprehensive set of instructions covering 1-30 days at 5 various stages (primary fermentation day 1, secondary fermentation day 8, degassing day 20, stabilising/clarification day 22, bottling day 28). There is also an equipment needed portion as well as a hints for success. All California Connisseur wine kits are designed to have around 11.5 %

Further posts to follow as and when i hit the various stages.

I've already done there Rioja which turned out really good, i picked the kit up of ebay from this seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Californi...hash=item5ae3548d4b:m:mGzf87PdazCfh0lLUuI4vhQ for �£42.00 with free delivery which is who i bought the Rioja from, very quick delivery and seemed to have the best price (ordered on the 12th, arrived today to N Ireland). Anyone who tried the Rioja liked it so i thought i would try another kit out for comparison.

I've bought a bunch of CC kits from that seller, who is just my LHBS in disguise. Cheap and reliable I've found. Cheaper and more reliable than the shop itself in fact.

I think this Malbec is probably the only one I've not tried, because I've never been a fan of commercial Malbecs. Bit of trivia: the French call it Cot [most of them anyway], I think Malbec is a South American word.

Finished early at work today so it gave me a chance to get this started which will work out well as the 2nd stage is at 8 days which will work into Sat week when i'm of.

Added extra water to approx 24.5l and about 750g of extra sugar, reason for this is i want to get at least 30 bottles and the instructions recommend several racking stages which would probably drop me down to 28 bottles if i went with the 23l they recommend. SG came in at approx 1.090 which if it hits .990 will come in at 13.1.

Update, fermentation had started after a few hours yesterday evening.

The Malbec has been fermenting quite strongly for most of the week and slowed up a bit since friday morning, the instructions recommend racking to secondary at this stage or around the 1.010 gravity mark, mine was at the 1.020 mark but i've went ahead and racked it anyways as with two packets of wood chipings in it i probably don't want an overly excessive wood enhanced flavour. Approx 12 days to wait now on secondary (per instructions) but will let it go for 14 so it ties in again with a Saturday.

The wine has been degassed, stabilised and finnings added and should be ready for bottling come Tues/wed, final gravity was .992.

I can recommend their barolo, good after 3 months, superb after a year.

Yeah i quite liked there Rioja which is why i went with a second one of there kits, I'm saving 3 bottles of it for a 1, 2 and 3 year comparison.

The Malbec was bottled yesterday evening, got the full 30 bottles from it and a very small glass for a quick tasting, initial impression is that it is a bit more acidic than the Rioja was at bottling time, it is still very pleasant though and there where a few flavours in there that should improve well as it ages.

I don't do many kits but was given a "6 bottle" of this. Bottled 5 today after following the destructions to the letter and drank the clear leftovers. OMG, it's like alco ribena! This one will go to the very back and be left for as long as possible.

I have one of these on the go at moment, tasted just like you describe after 10 days. Will update in 3 weeks. :thumb:

I tried one bottle a couple of weeks ago, reasonably light but does have a definite spiced kick to it, worth doing i think for the variety.

Well - it was easy to make. But when it was being bottled it (3L bags) it smelled horrible - as I said elsewhere - overtones of underpants.

So I was at a pretty low ebb tbh.

1 week in shed later however (it's what 8c there these days?) and that awful smell is gone - tasted the wine and it appears to be an actual drinkable red.

Given that I have thrown out a cellar 7 kit (added water) and a sol grundy one (had only .5 L of stuff with it and tastes of pi$$, vinegar, and chemicals), and screwed up a fresh elderberry 30 bottle WoW (tastes of Benelyn) this was last chance saloon for a proper wine. [Not to mention I also poured out 30L of WoW which refused to ferment with Young's standard yeast ....]

So yeah I am relieved, will probably try a glass or two from it tomorrow night and report back.

Having downscaled a bit I have a 1L AJ/ 1L RGJ/ 1 bottle lowicz strawberry I am just tending to now - this one refused to go past 1001 or so after 2 weeks but I will see what it is like. Brewing in a ferm fridge at about 22c btw. Using 5L PETs at moment and how **** are those .... hoping Santy will bring me some glass ones....

Well - it was easy to make. But when it was being bottled it (3L bags) it smelled horrible - as I said elsewhere - overtones of underpants.

So I was at a pretty low ebb tbh.

1 week in shed later however (it's what 8c there these days?) and that awful smell is gone - tasted the wine and it appears to be an actual drinkable red.

Given that I have thrown out a cellar 7 kit (added water) and a sol grundy one (had only .5 L of stuff with it and tastes of pi$$, vinegar, and chemicals), and screwed up a fresh elderberry 30 bottle WoW (tastes of Benelyn) this was last chance saloon for a proper wine. [Not to mention I also poured out 30L of WoW which refused to ferment with Young's standard yeast ....]

So yeah I am relieved, will probably try a glass or two from it tomorrow night and report back.

Having downscaled a bit I have a 1L AJ/ 1L RGJ/ 1 bottle lowicz strawberry I am just tending to now - this one refused to go past 1001 or so after 2 weeks but I will see what it is like. Brewing in a ferm fridge at about 22c btw. Using 5L PETs at moment and how **** are those .... hoping Santy will bring me some glass ones....

Thanks Dublin. To be honest I couldn't wait and have ordered a CC Pinot Noir whilst it is still on offer. As you know I had concerns about the Kenridge one as it went from good to iffy then back to good again.

I have a 5 gal glass carboy. Nice item but remember these boys are heavy. Get the bolt on handle with it and plan your stages to minimise moving it about. I think the best deal I got at the time wit other bits was from Brewbitz

The 5L PETs I am using are these ! (Not a patch on the canadian 11 and 23 L ones)
N5L_5L.jpg

You cannot lift those glass ones just with that handle when they are full afaik - can break - perhaps check.
I have brewhauler straps - v handy. Had to get from USA though.

Latest posts

Back