Brewnight: Strawberry and Lime Turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening all...

Put on another batch of this one, made it last Christmas time and is by far my favourite TC so far

Bits and pieces:
15L Lidl Vitafit apple juice
1L strong tea (5 teabag)
5tsp pectolase dissolved in some warm water
Juice of 5 large limes
920 ml Lowicz Strawberry syrup (2 full bottles and 40ml from the third, rest of third bottle I'll use to prime it later)
5g cider yeast with sweetener (ebay)

In my 30L coopers FV, throw in the apple juice, pectolase, lime juice, Strawberry syrup and stewed tea

Top up to 25L with cold tap water, temp about 22 degrees (perfect).

SG of 1.038, so estimating an abv of about 5.8% (when taking into account priming sugar - 340g/400ml of Strawberry syrup with an 85g per 100ml sugar content)

Cost of ingredients, about £15 😃

95cf94c51407459ea46496eab3052a97.jpg

b7b8c4bd2606a76364455d6da610fc75.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Day 3 and a nice foamy head on it since last night, and starting to lighten in colour

5c4e7fb119f8b2adf9bf9d1ae29dbf24.jpg

looks good. I fancy doing this for the Chrismas season, How long does it 'keep' for? I am assuming not all that long.

Probably good for up to a year in swing tops

That was one that came as part of a Coopers start up kit and is my favourite... no airlock required or small neck to pour into 😀

Looking good Roddy, I may try it for the missus, I don't like flavoured TC's myself but it's always good to hear what recipes work well.

BTW did you forget you already had a brewday thread for this?

and what has happened to Mrcwb89 and Magpie who were trying different recipes, not seen either of them post for ages?

I've got 2 threads cheap reward mate - 2 different brews 😎

Hey guys [emoji112]🏼

Sorry boys not been on for ages and not brewed in donkeys either but I've got most of my bottles stashed in the loft and they are coming out this coming weekend so I will let you all know how they panned out [emoji6]

I can vouch for the summer fruit one right enough that one was amazing [emoji108]🏼 think there's only one bottle of thy left was brewed in Nov I'm sure [emoji23]

Probably good for up to a year in swing tops

I only have crown tops... :( best not get any ideas, ive already asked the husband to insulate the summer house for me for winter usage ;-)

I only have crown tops... :( best not get any ideas, ive already asked the husband to insulate the summer house for me for winter usage ;-)

Crown tops will be fine.

I have read a couple of times that people claim if the swing tops are over carbed that gas will force it's way out around the rubber / silicone seal.
Personally I couldn't say whether that's true or not. I put about 9 grams of sugar per litre in when I bottle. I use a mix of swing tops and crown tops. Never had a problem with either. Some of which have been sat in the garage for 9 months now.

Do you have power in the summer house?
Is there room for a brew fridge?
Better than insulating the whole thing.

Hey guys [emoji112]🏼

Sorry boys not been on for ages and not brewed in donkeys either but I've got most of my bottles stashed in the loft and they are coming out this coming weekend so I will let you all know how they panned out [emoji6]

I can vouch for the summer fruit one right enough that one was amazing [emoji108]🏼 think there's only one bottle of thy left was brewed in Nov I'm sure [emoji23]

Good to hear you are still in the game MrC, and our friend Magpie hasn't logged in since May!

Hey buddy

Cheers , will be back in it this coming weekend. I'll kee you guys up dated lol the wine and cider section does seem terribly quiet looking threw it [emoji15]

Crown tops will be fine.

I have read a couple of times that people claim if the swing tops are over carbed that gas will force it's way out around the rubber / silicone seal.
Personally I couldn't say whether that's true or not. I put about 9 grams of sugar per litre in when I bottle. I use a mix of swing tops and crown tops. Never had a problem with either. Some of which have been sat in the garage for 9 months now.

Do you have power in the summer house?
Is there room for a brew fridge?
Better than insulating the whole thing.

I do.. and there could be, i have some worktop to be fitted in it too. The insulation is more for me, its bloody freezing in winter, I used to make glass beads in it but i've sold off my kit as i had no time and december/feb was icy icy icy

Foamy head only lasted a couple of days and it's now finished fermenting (at sg 1.000) and starting to clear

Will probably bottle up tonight or tomorrow 😀

Tasting slightly sharper than last time but the limes I used this time were much bigger then before so maybe slightly overplayed the lime juice. Probably fine once cold and carbed though 😃

Hey guys got home today and got straight up that loft [emoji23][emoji23]

1ef4125c3151f1df290eca03db2a0119.jpg

Grabbed a few bottles down to sample before tomorrow night

Crystal clear

7cfde302127aef317b8b5c01c4cfd338.jpg

[ame]https://vimeo.com/177750318[/ame] strawberry and lime still taste funky don't get me wrong it's settled really well compared to how it was but it's a reserve one for once am past tasting

[ame]https://vimeo.com/177750528[/ame]
Blackcurrent on the other hand [emoji108]🏼

Just amazing I'll Defo go with the aging process from now on fair play these have been in storage for 9 month but by god it makes a difference

Still go a cherry TC to try after this one
[emoji15][emoji85][emoji51]

Keep you posted hopefully [emoji6]

I read that post above thinking it was by Roddy.

Then I got to the bit about storing it for 9 months and aging it, I was thinking Roddy will never keep it that long.

No I doubt he would [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Right so cherry next

[ame]https://vimeo.com/177762410[/ame]

No where near as good as blackcurrent but still definitely drinkable just not the go to one

Now summer fruit punch roughly 4% ish of i remember right

[ame]https://vimeo.com/177762600[/ame]

Delightful wee summer drink definitely something for the sunshine [emoji108]🏼

So all in all a good we turn out I think [emoji848]

Foamy head only lasted a couple of days and it's now finished fermenting (at sg 1.000) and starting to clear

Will probably bottle up tonight or tomorrow [emoji3]

Tasting slightly sharper than last time but the limes I used this time were much bigger then before so maybe slightly overplayed the lime juice. Probably fine once cold and carbed though [emoji2]

How's this one looking a week on after it finished Roddy ?

Back